Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Changed my Apple ID PW but Mac Still Requires the Old PW

I changed my Apple ID password this morning. I used it to log into this forum. When I try to use it to login to my MacBook Pro it didn't work, but the old password works. How do I get my MacBook Pro to use the new password?

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 10:49 AM

Jeff Brewer wrote:

I changed my Apple ID password this morning. I used it to log into this forum. When I try to use it to login to my MacBook Pro it didn't work, but the old password works. How do I get my MacBook Pro to use the new password?

?

Typically you would expect your AppleID user/psswd is different then you macbook user name and psswd...

"Your Apple ID information is used to enable Apple services when you sign in, including iCloud Backup, which automatically backs up the data on your device in case you need to replace or restore it. Your device serial number may be used to check eligibility for service offers."

ref

Apple ID & Privacy

Check your Apple ID device list to see where you're signed in

Check your Apple ID device list to find where you're signed in - Apple Support

For your Mac user/admin account, ref: Change the login password on Mac - Apple Support

If you forgot your Mac login password you can use your AppleID to reset if necessary

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2023 10:49 AM in response to Jeff Brewer

Jeff Brewer wrote:

?

Typically you would expect your AppleID user/psswd is different then you macbook user name and psswd...

"Your Apple ID information is used to enable Apple services when you sign in, including iCloud Backup, which automatically backs up the data on your device in case you need to replace or restore it. Your device serial number may be used to check eligibility for service offers."

ref

Apple ID & Privacy

Check your Apple ID device list to see where you're signed in

Check your Apple ID device list to find where you're signed in - Apple Support

For your Mac user/admin account, ref: Change the login password on Mac - Apple Support

If you forgot your Mac login password you can use your AppleID to reset if necessary

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

Changed my Apple ID PW but Mac Still Requires the Old PW

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.