Transfer time machine backups to a new external hard disk.

Hello,

I have an iMac running Ventura 13.4. I have an external hard disk that I have been using for my time machine backups. The disk is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). In the past I was able to write to the drive and move files to/from the drive. As the drive is almost full. I purchased a new larger external hard drive to continue saving time machine backups to. In formatting the new drive, I am only able to format it to APFS, not Mac OS extended. Ins "setting it up" as a time machine backup disc, the drive is now set to read only, and I am unable to copy my previous backups to this drive. I have researched the issue and there does not seem to be any way to do this. I have tried dragging and dropping the old backup files to the disk (prior to setting it up as a time machine disk) - a get a write error that the files cannot be copied; I have deselected permissions and prviledges on the "Info" screen and then tried copying the files (no luck); I tried using the disk restore command in disk utility to copy the contents of the old drive to the new drive; I tried creating a partition after formating with a Mac OS extended partition and then copying; I tried renaming the new drive with the same name as the old backup drive to see if it would skip the reformatting when setting it up as a backup drive in time machine. There was a suggestion of keeping both drives as backup drives and accessing the older backups that way - that doesn't help if my old drive is about to fail. . I noticed that for a new backup disk, time machine doesn't use the same naming protocol or file structure from before, but it will continue to sue the old one on a disk that has older backups on it. At the end of the day, I was unable to find a way to simply copy my old

backups to new drive and access them as before and also write new backups using the same file naming protocol as before (backups.backup). This seems like it should be a no-brainer, no? It would make sense that if apple changed the formattin/file structure of new time machione backups (does APFS have something to do with ti), I would have thought that there would be some sort of a file conversion tool built into Time Machine that would integrate the older files into the new ones.

Anyone else have the same problem and/or found a solution that works? (none of the solutions I found online worked in my case).

iMac 24″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2023 11:24 AM

To add to what you've already been told:

1 - you can't copy the files from your current TM drive to a new, bigger TM drive. TM does not provide for that.

2 - you have two options:

2A - get a new drive, format it APFS and start using it. TM will format it further to what it needs. Save your current TM drive in case you need to access older files.

2B - erase your current TM drive, reformat it to APFS, and start using it over again.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2023 11:24 AM in response to steveowitz

To add to what you've already been told:

1 - you can't copy the files from your current TM drive to a new, bigger TM drive. TM does not provide for that.

2 - you have two options:

2A - get a new drive, format it APFS and start using it. TM will format it further to what it needs. Save your current TM drive in case you need to access older files.

2B - erase your current TM drive, reformat it to APFS, and start using it over again.

Jun 20, 2023 11:07 AM in response to steveowitz

steveowitz wrote:

Hello,
I have an iMac running Ventura 13.4. I have an external hard disk that I have been using for my time machine backups. The disk is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). In the past I was able to write to the drive and move files to/from the drive. As the drive is almost full. I purchased a new larger external hard drive to continue saving time machine backups to. In formatting the new drive, I am only able to format it to APFS, not Mac OS extended. Ins "setting it up" as a time machine backup disc,

the drive is now set to read only, and I am unable to copy my previous backups to this drive.

You are not going to move "previous backups to this drive". Full stop.

Start a new TM backup on the new drive and go from there.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

If you value your user data

3-2-1 Backup Strategy: three copies of your data, two different methods, and one offsite.

More than one device, more than one backup methodology.

Jun 20, 2023 1:19 PM in response to steveowitz

steveowitz wrote:

got it, thanks. I've previously deselected my old backup drive as a TM backup. When I go to add it now, it prompts me to click on "setup". #1 - Is this going to reformat the drive or #2 - is there a way to keep the backups that are already on there.

#1 - I'm not sure as I've not tried it that way - probably.

#2 - yes, by getting a new TM drive and saving the current drive. You can access it when needed by holding down the Option key and selecting "Browse Other Time Machine Disks…".

Jun 20, 2023 11:08 AM in response to steveowitz

The drive needs to be APFS Case Sensitive. You need to just allow TM to do its thing as generally it will take care of itself.

Transferring a TM data set to a different drive as suggested in your title is not a best practice. Create new backup and let the new machine take care of itself. monitor it periodically; you seem to be overthinking this.

Jun 20, 2023 1:07 PM in response to leroydouglas

got it, thanks. I've previously deselected my old backup drive as a TM backup. When I go to add it now, it prompts me to click on "setup". Is this going to reformat the drive or is there a way to keep the backups that are already on there. The previous backups are important to me, I don't access them frequently, but I have on occassion had to go back to a file from a couple of years ago, that I deleted. Also, i can "weed" out some of those historical backups, but it doesn't want to allow me to delete any of the old files either.

Transfer time machine backups to a new external hard disk.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.