Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding songs to the library also adds albums to the library in Apple Music

how can i avoid this behaviour? if I add a lot of songs, then a lot of albums will also be added, and these albums will be mixed with the albums that I have already added myself

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13

Posted on Jun 21, 2023 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 1:24 AM

I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand you. my problem is when I find a track interesting for me in apple music and add it to my library, then in addition to the added track, an album (not the whole) where that track was located is added to my library. and it turns out that in the list of albums I now have both albums that I added myself, and albums that were added when I added songs. I think this behavior is illogical

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2023 1:24 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand you. my problem is when I find a track interesting for me in apple music and add it to my library, then in addition to the added track, an album (not the whole) where that track was located is added to my library. and it turns out that in the list of albums I now have both albums that I added myself, and albums that were added when I added songs. I think this behavior is illogical

Jun 21, 2023 10:47 AM in response to Elaxer

Add and download music from Apple Music - Recommended by Apple

If you subscribe to Apple Music, you can add music and music videos from the Apple Music catalog to your music library. Stream music that you've added over an internet connection. Or download music that you've added to listen to offline.

Add music from Apple Music to your library

Follow the steps below for your device.

How to add music from Apple Music on your iPhone, iPad, or Android

1. Open the Apple Music app.
  2. Touch and hold a song, album, or playlist that you want to add to your library.
  3. Tap Add to Library.

How to add music from Apple Music on your Mac or PC

1. Open the Apple Music app or iTunes. 
  2. Find music that you want to add to your library.
  3. To add a song, click Add button . To add an album, playlist, or music video, click +Add.

Download music from Apple Music

After you've added music to your library, you can download it to your device to listen to offline. Just follow the steps below for your device.

How to download music from Apple Music on your iPhone, iPad, or Android

1. Open the Apple Music app.
  2. Add a song, album, or playlist to your library.
  3. Touch and hold the song, album, or playlist that you added from Apple Music.
  4. Tap Download.

How to download music from Apple Music on your Mac or PC

1. Open the Apple Music app or iTunes.
  2. Add a song, album, or playlist to your library.
  3. After you add a song, album, or playlist:
    • On your Mac, click the Download button  next to a song or album.
    • On your PC, click the Download button  next to a song or album.

Delete music downloaded to your device

If you want to free up storage space on your device, find out how to remove music that you downloaded from Apple Music.

Jun 23, 2023 6:30 AM in response to Elaxer

Yes, that is expected behavior. The track you're downloading has what is called "metadata". This data includes things like the song title, the album title, the track number, the genre. When you add the track to your library, Music sees all of those bits of information and adds them to the library database. So, unless you can remove the album name from the metadata, Music will add that name to the list in the library database just as it adds the track name. And, you can't edit the metadata on music that you're downloading as a part of your Apple Music subscription.

Adding songs to the library also adds albums to the library in Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.