Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Maps rerouting without consent

How do I stop Apple Maps from rerouting me without my consent? We have an RV and follow certain routes because they can accommodate our bus. Another may be faster but roads that are too small or more turns which can be challenging and we’d prefer to avoid. Apple suggests it and then if I don’t click “no thanks” it automatically reroutes us to the faster path. We are following the path we were on. Not diverting from the original route.

iPhone 11

Posted on Jun 21, 2023 5:39 AM

3 replies

Apr 25, 2024 9:56 AM in response to Joi3000

Joi3000 wrote:

Solution: Give us an option in Settings to never accept faster routes. Or automatically highlight the “Dismiss” option when a faster route is found, changing the route only if the user explicitly selects “Accept.”

Apple doesn't read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Jun 22, 2023 11:30 AM in response to Travel_Mama

Howdy Travel_Mama,

It sounds like you want to improve your Apple Maps experience while traveling in your RV. We know how important this is for you, and we will help get you to the right place for answers.

The first thing to try is adding stops along your route. This should help keep you on your selected route:

Add a stop to your driving directions
You can add up to 14 stops along your route.
1. Do one of the following:
• Tap Add Stop (below Directions), use the search field or a recent search result to find and select a place to stop, then tap Add (in the list of search results) or Add Stop (in the place card for a search result).
Zoom in and move the map, tap a place (for example, a landmark or business), then tap Add Stop in the place card. Or touch and hold a spot to mark it with a pin, then tap Add Stop in the place card.
4. Your selected stop appears as the final destination in the Directions list.
5. Touch and hold the Reorder button for the stop, then drag it ahead of your final destination.
6. To delete the stop, swipe it left.

This info is located in the iPhone User Guide: Select other route options in Maps on iPhone - Apple Support

We understand your concern on this issue and you can also leave feedback about this on the Apple Product Feedback page for Apple Maps: Feedback - Maps for iOS and iPadOS - Apple

Take Care!

Apr 25, 2024 9:24 AM in response to Mike_P1

I love Apple Maps but this problem frustrates me.

The suggested solution by Mike is not really a solution, but a workaround to the problem. 

Because my drive to work is an hour long, I often receive a faster route notification because of traffic build up while I’m already driving. These alternate routes are only slightly faster (only 3 minutes!) but significantly longer in miles. This has been frustrating, especially when I unintentionally take the wrong exit due to myself being on “autopilot” and just blindly following the Maps directions.

Solution: Give us an option in Settings to never accept faster routes. Or automatically highlight the “Dismiss” option when a faster route is found, changing the route only if the user explicitly selects “Accept.”

Apple Maps rerouting without consent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.