Double-click to enable free app downloads

I just upgraded from iPhone 12 to 14 and would like to enable the double-click in lieu of a password for FREE app downloads only. I've seen plenty of traffic on this subject but none of the instructions have worked for me.

iPhone 14, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 21, 2023 5:40 AM

3 replies

Jun 22, 2023 11:42 AM in response to ShoreBirdGirl

Hi ShoreBirdGirl,

Thank you for posting to Apple Support Communities.

You can require a password for every purchase or in 15 minutes when buying items. For free apps, you can follow the steps below to change the option for password:

1. Open the Settings app.
2. Tap your name.
3. Tap Media & Purchases.
4. Tap Password Settings, then choose the setting that you want.

If you don't see Password Settings, you have turned on Face ID or Touch ID for App Store and iTunes Purchases. To change this, go back to Settings, tap "Face ID & Passcode" or "Touch ID & Passcode", then turn off Face ID or Touch ID next to iTunes & App Store.

This information is from Require a password for App Store and iTunes purchases - Apple Support.

Take care.

Jun 23, 2023 9:29 AM in response to 1ssmith

Thanks for the response but it didn't help. I don't want to require a password for free apps so that option is turned off. I would like to use Face ID or double-tap. When I try to download a free app, I get the message that I have to turn on TouchAssist to use Face ID (it gives me no other options). But turning TouchAssist on and then trying the download results in "Confirm with AssistiveTouch". But when I press the AssistiveTouch button, there is no option to confirm, just a navigation option (notification center, custom, device, etc.). At this point, I cannot download free apps by any means. Any advice much appreciated.

Jun 23, 2023 11:09 AM in response to ShoreBirdGirl

Hi ShoreBirdGirl,

Thanks for clarifying further. Please go to Settings > Accessibility > Assistive Touch and disable 'Confirm with Assistive Touch'. Once you've done that, please try downloading free apps again.

If you're still unable to download apps, contacting Apple Support is the best path forward to resolve this. They will be best equipped to investigate this further for you:

Get Support

Cheers!

Double-click to enable free app downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.