Related Article: Information about the My Photo Stream shutdown

If my photos are being automatically saved to iCloud then all photos should be saved correct? I’m not even sure what my photo stream is. Can anyone clarify please.

please explain what iPhotos is. I have auto updates of my photos into iCloud so I’m confused about this iPhotos and if I need to do anything. Thx

iPhone 11

Posted on Jun 21, 2023 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2023 1:40 PM

No such thing as "iPhotos", The old app was called iPhoto (no s). It contained all your photos and synced them with iCloud if the option was turned on.

It was replaced with a new app called "Photos" no i, it works essentially the same way iPhoto did.

Independently to these 2 apps and iCloud Photo Library there is a service called My Photo Stream, which uploaded photos taken in the last 30 days to a special album in iCloud that could be accessed by other devices. It would only upload photos taken within the last 30 days, and would remove from that album older phots and replace them with new ones automatically.

This is the feature that will be going away. If you use iCloud Photo Library, then the My Photo Stream service is redundant, as iCloud Photo Library already syncs all photos to iCloud.

If you did use the Photo Stream, you would see a My Photo Stream Album in the current Photos App on Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV.

On your iPhone you can go to Settings ➜ Photos and verify what options are turned on there.

You can preemptively turn off My Photo Stream from there if you want.

If you use iCloud Photo Library, then the shutdown of My Photo Stream should not affect you at all.

click here ➜ My Photo Stream - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2023 1:40 PM in response to Danilovestennis1

No such thing as "iPhotos", The old app was called iPhoto (no s). It contained all your photos and synced them with iCloud if the option was turned on.

It was replaced with a new app called "Photos" no i, it works essentially the same way iPhoto did.

Independently to these 2 apps and iCloud Photo Library there is a service called My Photo Stream, which uploaded photos taken in the last 30 days to a special album in iCloud that could be accessed by other devices. It would only upload photos taken within the last 30 days, and would remove from that album older phots and replace them with new ones automatically.

This is the feature that will be going away. If you use iCloud Photo Library, then the My Photo Stream service is redundant, as iCloud Photo Library already syncs all photos to iCloud.

If you did use the Photo Stream, you would see a My Photo Stream Album in the current Photos App on Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV.

On your iPhone you can go to Settings ➜ Photos and verify what options are turned on there.

You can preemptively turn off My Photo Stream from there if you want.

If you use iCloud Photo Library, then the shutdown of My Photo Stream should not affect you at all.

click here ➜ My Photo Stream - Apple Support

If my photos are being automatically saved to iCloud then all photos should be saved correct? I’m not even sure what my photo stream is. Can anyone clarify please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.