Recovery key for MacBook Pro login is too long

Hello,

My Dad forgets his password to his MacBook Pro. He tried few times untill his account was locked for several minutes. When I arrive, I saw that only option to reset his password is to use Recovery Key. I created one on his iPhone (this same Apple ID that is logged in on MacBook Pro). I tried to fill it there, but - it's too long. Generated Recovery Key has 7 blocks with XXXX separated by dash. Reset password input in my Dad's MacBook allow only for 6 blocks.

How can I now reset his password to login to this MacBook Pro? We have access to his iPhone and Apple ID account (which is logged on both, MacBook Pro and iPhone).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards,

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 12:10 PM

Hi Daavek,

Based on what you're describing it sounds like it might be referring to your FileVault recovery key. You can learn more about that here: Use FileVault to encrypt your Mac startup disk

If this doesn't help you can reach out for support here: Get Support

Take care.

7 replies

Jun 27, 2023 8:40 AM in response to Daavek

Hello Daavek,

You can't use a Recovery Key you are creating now. You need the key that was created when they set it up. Also, this only applies to the Apple ID. This article has the info: How to generate a recovery key - Apple Support

"A recovery key is a randomly generated 28-character code that you can use to help reset your password or regain access to your Apple ID. While it’s not required, using a recovery key improves the security of your account by putting you in control of resetting your password. Creating a recovery key turns off account recovery. Account recovery is a process that would otherwise help you get back into your Apple ID account when you don’t have enough information to reset your password."

Since you are talking about the Mac Admin password, it's likely a FileVault 2 Recovery Key. You might be able to recover it, but Apple does not store it anywhere for your security.

If you can't remember the security questions, ask them to follow How to reinstall OS X.

If you can remember the security questions, as mentioned before, you will need to call in and have them. help you. Have the security questions ready, let them know you need help with the File Vault 2 Recovery Key.

Get Support

Thanks.

Jun 24, 2023 9:29 AM in response to Lee_ms

Oh, I see. So it can be FileVault recovery key. The worst scenario now appears - my dad also don't know where he has it...

I see this info:

If you lose both your account password and your

FileVault recovery key, you won't be able to log in to your Mac or

access the data on your startup disk.

Can I just somehow format all MacBook Pro and create everything from the beginning? Dad said he doesn't have anything valuable there, so he is fine with erasing everything on MacBook and setting it once again.

Best regards,

Recovery key for MacBook Pro login is too long

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.