Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

MacBook Pro 14 M1 Max lagging when editing 4K videos in iMovie

I have a hi-spec M1 Max 14" MacBook Pro purchased in December 2022. I have recently been putting together a movie with some 4k footage filmed with a GoPro. When importing the footage, adjusting the speed, trimming the clips, navigating around the edit etc, it lags heavily. The movie is now around 20 minutes long and when I bring in new clips it is almost not usable. Opening and closing the 4K files outside of iMovie is flawless.

Why is this happening? Is iMovie just not man enough? I haven't experienced lag with anything before and have run some demanding games on full graphics etc.

I recently made an edit which was filmed with an older GoPro only at 720p. iMovie still lagged when quickly chopping up clips and adjusting speed of clips.

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 9:59 AM

Hi,

Lagging can be caused by several things. You might want to contact Apple Support and talk to the techs there, as they have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.

Meanwhile, you can try exploring some diagnostics. The common denominator is Go Pro, so there may be something about the Go Pro settings or the way it renders its vids.

Here are some things that you can look into before contacting Apple Support:

Shut down and Restart your computer: Often this simple procedure will cure things.

Delete preferences: Try deleting preferences, as that procedure often cures issues. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.

New project: Try creating a new project and see if the lagging is eliminated there.

Open iMovie in a new library: Try opening iMovie in a new library and importing your footage into a new project.

Space: Check to confirm that you have enough space on your application drive for iMovie to function efficiently.

Format and frame rate: What are the format and frame rate of your clips? iMovie supports 4k 30 fps, so if you have a much larger frame rate that might cause some lagging.

Activity monitor: Check your Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor) to see that there are no other cpu intensive programs running.

Hardware check: Run your Mac's Hardware diagnostics to confirm that there is no hardware problem, like defective RAM or failing graphics card.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2023 9:59 AM in response to JPEzzz

Hi,

Lagging can be caused by several things. You might want to contact Apple Support and talk to the techs there, as they have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.

Meanwhile, you can try exploring some diagnostics. The common denominator is Go Pro, so there may be something about the Go Pro settings or the way it renders its vids.

Here are some things that you can look into before contacting Apple Support:

Shut down and Restart your computer: Often this simple procedure will cure things.

Delete preferences: Try deleting preferences, as that procedure often cures issues. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.

New project: Try creating a new project and see if the lagging is eliminated there.

Open iMovie in a new library: Try opening iMovie in a new library and importing your footage into a new project.

Space: Check to confirm that you have enough space on your application drive for iMovie to function efficiently.

Format and frame rate: What are the format and frame rate of your clips? iMovie supports 4k 30 fps, so if you have a much larger frame rate that might cause some lagging.

Activity monitor: Check your Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor) to see that there are no other cpu intensive programs running.

Hardware check: Run your Mac's Hardware diagnostics to confirm that there is no hardware problem, like defective RAM or failing graphics card.

-- Rich

Jun 25, 2023 12:43 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I tried the following:

• I deleted the preferences and initially it was fast with no lags, after playing for a minute it started to lag again, however is usable...
  • I tried in a new project, same symptoms.
  • Restarted computer, same symptoms.
  • I have 700Gb free so this isn't an issue.
  • I have checked and almost half of the footage in the film is filmed at 4k 60Fps...so this may be the issue? However, I was experiencing lag on another project with much lower quality footage.
  • Activity monitor shows only iMovie drawing any power.
  • I have not run diagnostics as my Mac needs to update and I am currently away with bad Wifi and need to wait till I get home to update.

Thanks again.

Jun 25, 2023 8:07 AM in response to JPEzzz

There's got to be some explanation as to why the audio goes out of sync in just certain parts of the project. Sometimes having clips with different frame rates in a project can cause problems. If you have different frame rate clips, possibly exporting the project without the audio and then running the exported movie through Handbrake to give it a single frame rate might help. Then import the converted movie back into a new iMovie project and add the audio. Maybe that would fix the sync.

-- Rich

MacBook Pro 14 M1 Max lagging when editing 4K videos in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.