My phone is telling me it can’t detect my camera that it’s not a genuine camera part this camera has never worked right since day one what do I do I’ve called support 2 or 3 times about this

My iPhone is telling me my camera can’t be detected because it’s not a genuine iPhone part and I’ve never had it serviced and I have complained about this since day one when I got my phone what can I do.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 2:47 PM

When you see the Unknown Part message it can mean a few different things and not all of them mean the phone has been serviced.

• Was replaced with a nongenuine camera
  • Was already used or installed in another iPhone
  • Isn't functioning as expected

The "isn't functioning as expected" reason indicates a likely hardware failure, either a defect or from accidental damage. Just check for the service history as SravanKrA outlined first.

About genuine iPhone cameras - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2023 2:47 PM in response to RJD137NJ

When you see the Unknown Part message it can mean a few different things and not all of them mean the phone has been serviced.

• Was replaced with a nongenuine camera
  • Was already used or installed in another iPhone
  • Isn't functioning as expected

The "isn't functioning as expected" reason indicates a likely hardware failure, either a defect or from accidental damage. Just check for the service history as SravanKrA outlined first.

About genuine iPhone cameras - Apple Support

Jun 22, 2023 7:16 AM in response to RJD137NJ

You may not have serviced it but the agency or the person from whom you bought it may have.

Parts and service history

With iPhone 12 models and later using iOS 15.2 and later, you can go to Settings > General > About to see the parts and service history of your iPhone and you can see if the camera has been replaced. If the repair was done using genuine Apple parts and processes, you will see "Genuine Apple Part" next to Camera.

Jun 22, 2023 1:50 PM in response to jhoni1948

jhoni1948 wrote:

I keep getting messages from Apple saying that the camera is “unknown” and not “original”.

If the phone was new when you bought it and you never had work done on it then that means that something has gone wrong with the camera. It's not common but it happens. And yes, that's why there is a warranty.

as well as an extensive fee to update the new phone with my data from the X.

That's absurd. It's very easy to transfer your own data with the tools Apple provides. Don't get taken in by that sort of money grab again.

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Jun 22, 2023 1:24 PM in response to RJD137NJ

I keep getting messages from Apple saying that the camera is “unknown” and not “original”. This the worst phone I have ever owned. It's not a smartphone but a complete “dumbphone”. It's a lemon. On reflection I think the phone outranks the lemon. I bought the phone on the 15th August 2022 from the Telstra Shop. It was presented to me as a brand new fully original Apple Iphone 13 Pro Max costing $1,599.00 as well as an extensive fee to update the new phone with my data from the X. They didn't do that when I upgraded me iPhone 8 to X. It's more about the money than people. I won't purchase from the telstra shop again. And if I could easily move my phone, foxtel and other accounts to a new provider, I would do so in a flash. I contacted platinum + plan which classed me as a valuable customer. Like ****, when they found I was wheerchair reliant and as my chair was awaiting repair and I couldn't get out, they didn't want to get involved could or could not do their jo,b. They hung up on me. I mentioned the no no word - Warrenty. That's when he hang up on me. As you would understand I can't get out easily so I just have to wear it. Warrenty isn’t worth the ,money spent on creating the data file. Well it is if you don't honour your responsibilty. It's very hard for a handicapped, 74 yo, veteran pensioner trying to make ends meet. When are talking huge money when we pay $1,500 for a phone that doesn't work, and that I really could not Afford. Well I've got a Warrente, haven't I???

Yours truly 𝓙𝓱𝓸𝓷𝓲 𝓗𝓲𝓷𝓰 ♿

My phone is telling me it can’t detect my camera that it’s not a genuine camera part this camera has never worked right since day one what do I do I’ve called support 2 or 3 times about this

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.