Software Updates section consuming all mobile data

The System Services -> Software Updates section on cellular data consumption has shown important numbers over the past months. It's ridiculous the amount of mobile data it is consuming. I've started noticing this unusual consumption on February but only started noting on March. My billing period starts every 27th. On March this section showed a mobile data use of 400mb after using my mobile data for 10 minutes! I'm on a wifi covered area for most part of the month, when on a wifi I always turn mobile data off.

After resetting statistics on March 27th, checked again on April 3rd and it already showed 205mb usage. I never do any updates over mobile data. Before resetting my mobile data on May 27th, I checked the Software Updates section again and it showed 771mb! On June 1st, only 5 days after I have reset the cellular data statistics, it displayed 1.2Gb usage. It's ridiculous that Apple have released so many updates and this issue hasn't been fixed by now. Today, June 22th, this Software Updates section shows 2.1Gb usage and I believe it has stopped on this amount because I have run out of mobile data. It basically consumed all my mobile data, which is ridiculous!

All automatic updates are turned off. I have low data mode turned on. My App Store is set to not use cellular data. I dont have files and photos to sync using cellular.

I'm attaching photos as proof of what I am talking.

There is an entire MacRumors forum post dedicated to this with multiple people having the same issue!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/high-usage-of-software-update-over-cellular.2377863/page-4

One user there reseted his iPhone and restored the data by a backup and the issue still persists.

Please, help me out on this matter. This issue have been disturbing my peace.

iPhone 8, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 6:32 PM

Same over here. We noticed the high data usage on my wife's phone, and eventually tracked it to the software updates. I chatted with apple support twice over the issue, and they basically told me *either* turn off software updates, or put it in low data mode. They stated that one of these solutions would work. We did both just in case. Didn't work. Her phone continues to fly through cell data because of software updates. And just recently I noticed mine had a big jump today of 250 Mb. The second support chat person said all my my issues have been documented and I have a case #. Needless to say I will continue to chat with them and raise my concerns. Hopefully with iOS 17 coming out they solve the problem? 🤞🏻

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2023 6:32 PM in response to thiagocp

Same over here. We noticed the high data usage on my wife's phone, and eventually tracked it to the software updates. I chatted with apple support twice over the issue, and they basically told me *either* turn off software updates, or put it in low data mode. They stated that one of these solutions would work. We did both just in case. Didn't work. Her phone continues to fly through cell data because of software updates. And just recently I noticed mine had a big jump today of 250 Mb. The second support chat person said all my my issues have been documented and I have a case #. Needless to say I will continue to chat with them and raise my concerns. Hopefully with iOS 17 coming out they solve the problem? 🤞🏻

Software Updates section consuming all mobile data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.