IPlayer BBC no subtitles

Why no subtitles for iPlayer BBC on my Apple TV+ 4k but don’t forget deaf people who imported need watch it without subtitles it not fair! I’m deaf person and need sort update for Apple TV+ for iPlayer BBC only but Netflix and other more has subtitles it not understanding why not iPlayer BBC? Unhappy and disappointed. Try need make update for back normal. Thanks

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2024 11:14 AM

The issue is not Apple TV but BBC related. Sadly they (the BBC) feel that supporting a minority of hearing impaired viewers is not worth the bothersome and possibly costly work required to enable subtitles on the BBC IPlayer app. This has been the case for years now and the BBC remains one of the very few television app providers who do not have working subtitles. The fact this has gone on for years now suggests this is a commercial decision not to provide the service.

I wonder if they are acting entirely legally being publicly funded but choosing not to make the product available to all walks of society by omitting subtitles? Can someone advise what requirements there are in the Equality act?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2024 11:14 AM in response to Liam Stonestreet

The issue is not Apple TV but BBC related. Sadly they (the BBC) feel that supporting a minority of hearing impaired viewers is not worth the bothersome and possibly costly work required to enable subtitles on the BBC IPlayer app. This has been the case for years now and the BBC remains one of the very few television app providers who do not have working subtitles. The fact this has gone on for years now suggests this is a commercial decision not to provide the service.

I wonder if they are acting entirely legally being publicly funded but choosing not to make the product available to all walks of society by omitting subtitles? Can someone advise what requirements there are in the Equality act?

Apr 10, 2024 3:16 AM in response to oldmasterjds

I recently enquired if the BBC will be fixing the subtitle issue soon and got the following reply:

BBC iPlayer & BBC Sounds - Case number CAS-7793318-F3H2J7

Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch with BBC iPlayer Support Team about being unable to get subtitles on iPlayer on the Apple TV.

The subtitles used on the Apple TV are considerably different from others and so there is considerable challenge in making them available. This is why subtitles are available on all other platforms but not on this one. We do hope to do this at some point in future but there is no time frame for this unfortunately.

I can understand your frustration and rest assured that I will register your complaint on our dedicated feedback report, which is seen by the BBC iPlayer Product Team, including the BBC Accessibility team.

In the meantime, you could look into adapting your TV with another device such as a set-top box or streamer. Obviously, this isn't ideal, but I think it might be the only way you'll be able to get subtitles now. We cannot give any recommendations, but we do have a useful page here explaining your options:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/supported-devices/existing-device-help

Thanks again for getting in touch with us.

Rebekah Erskine

BBC iPlayer & BBC Sounds Support Team 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help 

Oct 31, 2023 9:19 AM in response to Liam Stonestreet

It's a shame that there is no date in the BBC's statement that there are "technical challenges associated with delivering subtitles to Apple TV" on their website. It would be helpful to, at least, know if the BBC will ever implement subtitles to their iPlayer app.

Perhaps if everyone affected lets the BBC know (via their Contact us page) then maybe something will happen sooner rather than later.

May 2, 2024 2:45 AM in response to Liam Stonestreet

I emailed the BBC the about the subtitles issue and below is the reply I received

Hello,

Thanks for getting in contact with BBC iPlayer support

Unfortunately, subtitles are not currently available in iPlayer on Apple TV. 

The BBC makes available a standard version of iPlayer that all manufacturers can apply to make available on their devices. This standard version of iPlayer is used on nearly all connected television type devices and offers subtitles; that’s ninety-eight percent of iPlayer viewers on connected TV. Apple TV is the only connected TV device that does not use the standard version of iPlayer. Apple have chosen to remain on a legacy version of iPlayer for Apple TV which does not support the technology we use to deliver subtitles. 

A workaround for Apple TV users could be to access iPlayer directly on the television the Apple TV is connected to. If iPlayer is available, it will be using the standard version of iPlayer which supports subtitles.

The BBC will continue to discuss this issue with Apple. 

Thanks again for taking the time to get in touch.

Best Wishes,

Blake Reid

BBC iPlayer & BBC Sounds Support Team 

IPlayer BBC no subtitles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.