Apple TV 4K and Dolby Vision & Atmos

Apple TV 4K

Toshiba C350 75” TV with Dolby Vision

Yamaha Aventage A-3060 AVR

When I connect the Apple TV 4K to my Yamaha AVR HDMI 2 with HDMI 1 of the AVR handling the eARC duties up to HDMI 1 port of the TV, I get Dolby Atmos but not Dolby Vision.

When I connect the Apple TV directly to HDMI 2 of the TV, I get Dolby Vision but not Dolby Atmos.

I am using brand new Monoprice Ultra High Speed 48 Gbps cables throughout.

How can I get both Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision?

Thank you!!!

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 6:58 PM

Apple TV 4K →[HMDI]→ AV receiver ⇄[HDMI (e)ARC]⇄ TV

If your AV receiver has had all of its firmware updates, then I think it should be able to do Dolby Vision passthrough. Yahama lists DV compatibility on their website for this model.

The receiver should have configuration for 4K Mode as Mode 1 or Mode 2. Set Mode 1 for high bandwidth use (up to 18 Gbps [HDMI 2.0]). Mode 2 would be for use up to 10 Gbps [HDMI 1.4].

Set your Apple TV video settings as they should for this setup, else you may not get what you intended. Set YCbCr color space (not RGB). Do not set 4:4:4 chroma, instead use 4:2:0. This does not diminish the video qualify in any way, as all streaming video is encoded as 4:2:0. [4:4:4 would use double the HDMI bandwidth, which would block certain other video features to stay under the bandwidth limit of the used HDMI ports, when any of you devices has HDMI 2.0 ports (instead of HDMI 2.1) — e.g. like your 2016 receiver.]

Then Dolby Vision should be selectable on Apple TV as video output format.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2023 6:58 PM in response to Sardo890

Apple TV 4K →[HMDI]→ AV receiver ⇄[HDMI (e)ARC]⇄ TV

If your AV receiver has had all of its firmware updates, then I think it should be able to do Dolby Vision passthrough. Yahama lists DV compatibility on their website for this model.

The receiver should have configuration for 4K Mode as Mode 1 or Mode 2. Set Mode 1 for high bandwidth use (up to 18 Gbps [HDMI 2.0]). Mode 2 would be for use up to 10 Gbps [HDMI 1.4].

Set your Apple TV video settings as they should for this setup, else you may not get what you intended. Set YCbCr color space (not RGB). Do not set 4:4:4 chroma, instead use 4:2:0. This does not diminish the video qualify in any way, as all streaming video is encoded as 4:2:0. [4:4:4 would use double the HDMI bandwidth, which would block certain other video features to stay under the bandwidth limit of the used HDMI ports, when any of you devices has HDMI 2.0 ports (instead of HDMI 2.1) — e.g. like your 2016 receiver.]

Then Dolby Vision should be selectable on Apple TV as video output format.

Apple TV 4K and Dolby Vision & Atmos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.