Need version history in the Notes app

How is it possible and/or acceptable that the Notes app in the iPhone gives the user absolutely zero access to their edit version or revision history on their notes?! I need access to what I had written before I bobbled my phone and somehow two documents I was working on had changes (edits) made to them.

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 9:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 11:44 PM

I appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately, I viewed the Notes app as something like a notepad. From the name of it it kind of gave off that perception. The assumption of that is not too far of a stretch. However, when one uses a notepad, their earlier thoughts are still physically there.

Ironically, if only I would have had the foresight to delete my note first in order to save it as it was, then I would still have access to it in my deleted files, which are located on my phone. So I can have a document I threw away four months ago, but not access to a version of the one I’m currently working on, not from four minutes ago, not from four weeks ago.

That’s a huge design flaw that renders the entire app essentially useless. If some change is accidentally made in some way it’s there to stay and whatever you had before that is lost for good. Make it make sense.

Can I submit a ticket to at least get access to mine? On two different documents I need the revision history before one moment in time a momentary glitch occurred. It’s more important than you could ever imagine. Whatever occurred needs to be seen to be believed.

I really need and wish for someone to help me retrieve them before the 3:14 pm bobble of the phone in my hand as I went to sit up and change the song. It was literally one moment in time. Two documents were changed in significant and unexplainable aways. At this point I desperately need the receipts of this having happened. That proof is in the edit version history of the two documents that I had been working on at that time. Please someone help.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2023 11:44 PM in response to Scott-he-him

I appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately, I viewed the Notes app as something like a notepad. From the name of it it kind of gave off that perception. The assumption of that is not too far of a stretch. However, when one uses a notepad, their earlier thoughts are still physically there.

Ironically, if only I would have had the foresight to delete my note first in order to save it as it was, then I would still have access to it in my deleted files, which are located on my phone. So I can have a document I threw away four months ago, but not access to a version of the one I’m currently working on, not from four minutes ago, not from four weeks ago.

That’s a huge design flaw that renders the entire app essentially useless. If some change is accidentally made in some way it’s there to stay and whatever you had before that is lost for good. Make it make sense.

Can I submit a ticket to at least get access to mine? On two different documents I need the revision history before one moment in time a momentary glitch occurred. It’s more important than you could ever imagine. Whatever occurred needs to be seen to be believed.

I really need and wish for someone to help me retrieve them before the 3:14 pm bobble of the phone in my hand as I went to sit up and change the song. It was literally one moment in time. Two documents were changed in significant and unexplainable aways. At this point I desperately need the receipts of this having happened. That proof is in the edit version history of the two documents that I had been working on at that time. Please someone help.

Jun 22, 2023 10:34 PM in response to NotesAppVersionHistoryNeeded

Hello,

I am not aware of any free personal note taking app that keeps a revision history besides shared notes. A better app for you to use may be Pages for iPhone as it has a version history feature when used with iCloud Drive.

Restore an earlier document version in Pages on iPhone - Apple Support

"View, copy, and restore an earlier version

1. Open Pages, and if a document is already open, tap Documents or  in the top-left corner to see all your documents.
  2. With the document manager in browse view, tap Select at the top of the screen, then tap the document (a checkmark appears).
  3. Tap  at the top of the screen.
  4. Tap a previous version to select it.
  5. Tap Preview.
  6. Pages displays the version. You can search for text in the preview, and you can copy text and objects. However, you can’t edit in the preview.
  7. Do one of the following:
    • Save a copy of the version shown in the preview: Tap Save a Copy. Pages opens the copy as a new document for you to edit. (The original version is available in the document manager, where the copied version also appears.)
    • Replace the current version with the preview version: Tap Restore.
    • Close the preview and return to the current version: Tap Close.
    • Tap Done.

If you don’t see the document you want, try searching for it, or tap Browse or Recents at the bottom of the screen. See Find a document."

If you want to request that feature be added to Notes the best place to do it would be Apples Feedback page.

Feedback - Notes - Apple

I hope this helps.

Jun 16, 2024 1:37 AM in response to Scott-he-him

Notion is free and allows you to view changes made to the document.

Scott-he-him wrote:

Hello,

I am not aware of any free personal note taking app that keeps a revision history besides shared notes. A better app for you to use may be Pages for iPhone as it has a version history feature when used with iCloud Drive.

Restore an earlier document version in Pages on iPhone - Apple Support
"View, copy, and restore an earlier version
Open Pages, and if a document is already open, tap Documents or 

https://help.apple.com/assets/640A717137F1F367FD068392/640A717337F1F367FD0683AE/en_US/c1d926189cf2bfc0789d8fb9b356022e.png1.
 in the top-left corner to see all your documents.
2. With the document manager in browse view, tap Select at the top of the screen, then tap the document (a checkmark appears).
Tap 
https://help.apple.com/assets/640A717137F1F367FD068392/640A717337F1F367FD0683AE/en_US/27cf8372416ba5141af3bf2a1f086ac6.png1.
 at the top of the screen.
2. Tap a previous version to select it.
3. Tap Preview.
4. Pages displays the version. You can search for text in the preview, and you can copy text and objects. However, you can’t edit in the preview.
5. Do one of the following:
Save a copy of the version shown in the preview: • Tap Save a Copy. Pages opens the copy as a new document for you to edit. (The original version is available in the document manager, where the copied version also appears.)
Replace the current version with the preview version: • Tap Restore.
Close the preview and return to the current version: • Tap Close.
• Tap Done.
If you don’t see the document you want, try searching for it, or tap Browse or Recents at the bottom of the screen. See Find a document."

If you want to request that feature be added to Notes the best place to do it would be Apples Feedback page.
Feedback - Notes - Apple

I hope this helps.

Need version history in the Notes app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.