Why can I no longer insert a document in a file? Macbook pro

Every time I try to insert a file using preview I get a pop up saying I need the owner password. This happens even if I have made the document and don't have a password for it. It won't take my login to my computer password.

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 3:31 PM

Hi cherim4,

Are you specifically trying to insert a file or page into a PDF or is this a different file type?

If you're being prompted for a password, it is possible the PDF was already password protected or a password was added to it. For example in Preview you can password protect a document. This is a completely self contained password, it wouldn't necessarily be your login password or Apple ID password.

We'd recommend confirming if you recall taking these steps when working with the document in Preview:

"Set a password for opening, printing, or changing a PDF

1. In the Preview app  on your Mac, open a PDF.
  2. Choose File > Export.
  3. If you want to create a password-protected copy and keep the original PDF unencrypted, enter a new name for the PDF.
  4. Click the Permissions button, then do any of the following:
    • Set a password for opening the PDF: Select Require Password To Open Document. Enter a password, then retype it to verify.
    • Set permissions: Select the checkbox next to an action to allow printing or changes without the owner password. Leave the checkbox unselected to require the owner password.
  1. Enter a password in the Owner Password section, then retype it to verify. It can be the same as or different from any password you created in step 3.
  2. Click Apply, then click Save.

Changes take effect the next time the PDF is opened."

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2023 3:31 PM in response to cherim4

Hi cherim4,

Are you specifically trying to insert a file or page into a PDF or is this a different file type?

If you're being prompted for a password, it is possible the PDF was already password protected or a password was added to it. For example in Preview you can password protect a document. This is a completely self contained password, it wouldn't necessarily be your login password or Apple ID password.

We'd recommend confirming if you recall taking these steps when working with the document in Preview:

"Set a password for opening, printing, or changing a PDF

1. In the Preview app  on your Mac, open a PDF.
  2. Choose File > Export.
  3. If you want to create a password-protected copy and keep the original PDF unencrypted, enter a new name for the PDF.
  4. Click the Permissions button, then do any of the following:
    • Set a password for opening the PDF: Select Require Password To Open Document. Enter a password, then retype it to verify.
    • Set permissions: Select the checkbox next to an action to allow printing or changes without the owner password. Leave the checkbox unselected to require the owner password.
  1. Enter a password in the Owner Password section, then retype it to verify. It can be the same as or different from any password you created in step 3.
  2. Click Apply, then click Save.

Changes take effect the next time the PDF is opened."

Cheers!

Jun 24, 2023 4:21 PM in response to DerekM87

This does not help. I have never required a password for any of my personal files. I'm a real estate agent and in the past I have been able to insert files but all of a sudden I am unable to do so. I suppose if someone sends a file through DotLoop it may need a password but I have no idea how to get that as I'm sure they wouldn't provide that information.

Why can I no longer insert a document in a file? Macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.