what to do when I lost my recovery key

what to do when I lost my recovery key? I am trying to log into my MacBook Air. My password is not working. I have my Apple ID password, my phone that is a trusted device, and I can log into the NON ADMIN profile on my laptop, just not the admin account. It seems a past user of this laptop added a recovery key and I do not have it.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 12:03 PM

How long have you had this used Mac? Before reselling, the seller should have done this: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

That clears all data and presents the setup screen for you to establish it as your Mac.

Take it back to the seller as he/she didn't set it up properly. Or if you know who owned it previously ask them for the code.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2023 12:03 PM in response to mega230

How long have you had this used Mac? Before reselling, the seller should have done this: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

That clears all data and presents the setup screen for you to establish it as your Mac.

Take it back to the seller as he/she didn't set it up properly. Or if you know who owned it previously ask them for the code.

what to do when I lost my recovery key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.