Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Preview Making Copy When PDF Is Edited

Hello, first time here.

I'm having an issue with my 2021, 14" M1 MacBook Pro (Ventura 13.4.1)

When I edit a pdf or screenshot, Preview is is automatically making a copy (and placing on desktop) of the document or screenshot. I'm constantly having to rename and send to trash documents, as I edit pdf's a lot for work it's very time consuming and I sometime delete the wrong ones etc. It's very annoying and confusing.

My old 2014 MacBook Pro doesn't do this. (Catalina, I stopped updating it a few tears back)

I've searched high and low for a solution before coming here, with no results.

Anyone out there know how to fix this or having the same issues?

Thanks for your time in advance~

Pic for reference:

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 3:18 PM

bigreddogtm wrote:

Hello, first time here.

When I edit a pdf or screenshot, Preview is is automatically making a copy (and placing on desktop) of the document or screenshot. I'm constantly having to rename and send to trash documents, as I edit pdf's a lot for work it's very time consuming and I sometime delete the wrong ones etc. It's very annoying and confusing.

My old 2014 MacBook Pro doesn't do this. (Catalina, I stopped updating it a few tears back)

Pic for reference:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/805ddce0-07b6-43ae-bf64-651369a8ed59

Welcome to the ASC bigreddogtm—

Old issue, new issue, what changed?

Are you logged in to your admin/user account, not a standard/user account(?)

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

No insight or resolve I would not hesitate to call:

Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2023 3:18 PM in response to bigreddogtm

bigreddogtm wrote:

Hello, first time here.

Pic for reference:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/805ddce0-07b6-43ae-bf64-651369a8ed59

Welcome to the ASC bigreddogtm—

Old issue, new issue, what changed?

Are you logged in to your admin/user account, not a standard/user account(?)

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

No insight or resolve I would not hesitate to call:

Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Jun 23, 2023 7:32 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hello, thanks very much for your reply. It seems to be a new issue. I feel like it started around the time of an OS update. Couldn't tell you which one though. It's been happening a few months now. (it was so annoying I started editing on my old Mac that doesn't have that problem)

"Are you logged in to your admin/user account, not a standard/user account(?)"

I'm the only user of this laptop and am logged in as admin and have never changed that. Just looked, and "guest user" is turned off.

You think a safe boot will help?

Not sure if this is in the same boat, but I've also noticed that when I do restart the laptop, I have to "force quit" finder to get my desktop pdf thumbnails to refresh to little images of what they are vs just "pdf" on them. Never seen that problem with any of my Macs before.

I appreciate your help and time in advance.

Preview Making Copy When PDF Is Edited

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.