Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Recovery every time triangle exclamation. 2018 Mac to shredder?

Recovery repeatedlyends angle exclamation point dozens if times trying every way .

Long 4-5 mo. history. Upgraded Mojave to Monterey five mos ago resulting no internet. Tried EVERYTHING- pls don't suggest any of the known ways to set up internet- I've tried all of them dozens of times. Every other device here connecting normally, TV's, this PBP, phones, etc. Tried 2 other older routers all same.

Erased startup drive. Used Apple built bootable installers USB Ventura, Monterey, Catalina, Mojave. Starting every way all go to Recovery (which did connect internet) ending in triangle exclamation point with NO opportunity whatever to proceed to anything. All startup key combos incl finally old startup holding C down- same.

I'm really tired of this and next step will be Mac Mini to shredder.

Extremely unhappy about this- been exclusive Mac user and administrator in my 6-Macs newspaper business since 1978.

Is there another way to force it to startup from the bootable installer drive?

Can we prevent it from starting Recovery?

Final solution will be Mac Mini to shredder. The Apple upgrade to Monterey has destroyed it.

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2023 7:52 PM

Thank you for the update Packwood. I'm pleased Apple took the time to thoroughly exhaust all possible remedies short of having an AASP examine it.

Please us know what they determine. It is probably repairable. The worst possible outcome is that it may not be economically justifiable, but at least you will have reached that conclusion after eliminating all other options.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2023 7:52 PM in response to Packwood

Thank you for the update Packwood. I'm pleased Apple took the time to thoroughly exhaust all possible remedies short of having an AASP examine it.

Please us know what they determine. It is probably repairable. The worst possible outcome is that it may not be economically justifiable, but at least you will have reached that conclusion after eliminating all other options.

Jun 24, 2023 2:38 AM in response to Packwood

Have used the below many a time to Erase macOS 10.13 High Sierra and reinstall a fresh copy. Some for macOS 10.15 Catalina

Always successfully

Scorched Earth Method 

This method will WIPE ALL Data and there is No Recovery - Period.

>> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computer <<

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer.

Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer.

About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. This applies to macOS 10.14 Mojave and above. 

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Jun 24, 2023 2:57 AM in response to Packwood

Packwood wrote:

Extremely unhappy about this- been exclusive Mac user and administrator in my 6-Macs newspaper business since 1978.

Interesting since the first Mac was released in 1984.

If the steps in the above link If your Mac starts up to an exclamation point in a circle don't work, try the last one…

If you don't have these items, or you need help following the instructions, please contact Apple Support.

Jul 8, 2023 4:04 PM in response to Packwood

This from Packwood original questioner. The long four-month effort apparently will now end as I called Apple Support, and we concluded best to take it to a repair shop.

I had erased the drive and tried install from bootable Mojave installer, same Recovery error.

I used Target mode from my (this) MBP, it offered the Mojave Install but had to first connect to wifi, which ended again in Recovery error.

In response to John Galt on June 24 above, I called Apple Support, receiving very skilled, patient, hours-long expert help from RK, then Paul, then Harry.

Paul said I'd need to use Configurator, only available from another group so got Harry.

After much more expert, patient, hour long help, he finally concluded I must either:

1. Upgrade my MBP from Mojave to Monterey so I could run Configurator on it. Recall this entire problem on the Mac Mini was caused/started by me using Apple online to Upgrade from Mojave to Monterey. I was very reluctant because of that to upgrade to Monterey, and also because this MBP on Mojave can still run Adobe Creative Suites CS6 including Indesign, Photoshop and Dreamweaver that I still use.
  2. Take the Mac Mini to a local Apple-authorized repair shop--- which I did yesterday.

I'm shamed and humiliated to take take a Mac to a repair shop after I've been buying, using, repairing, administering the dozen Macs in my newspaper business since 1984, when Macs first came out.

But presumably this four-month effort will end when the Mac Mini comes back from the shop. (After I reinstall all my apps).

Jun 24, 2023 10:38 AM in response to dialabrain

By gosh you're right, first one 128k released 1984- that was my first Mac. My second was the 512k that I think we called "Fat Mac". I still have my SE which was a marvelous upgrade, first one to have hard drive- the last time I tried it, it would still run and go onto my network! Though SE was just BW screen I produced the first full color image that was printed on our newspaper printer's press- ASTOUNDED them!

Thanks for your correction!

Jun 24, 2023 2:42 PM in response to dialabrain

Tried your steps twice, w Options down, on 2d try it did offer Install Mojave from the USB bootable startup drive, but when clicked it again started Recovery ending in triangle exclamation mark.

I've waited the 10-min Recovery start at least three dozen times in the last few days and am just unwilling to do it again.

My Mac Mini has two 500G drives, the second one (non-erased) has 300G of stuff I want to retrieve, so will try Target Mode to cc that stuff onto a USB flash drive or to Dropbox. I don't like iCloud which doesn't work as Documents folder as well as Dropbox or sync.com. Will require big USB flashdrive & USB-C male to male cable that I'm not sure I have, but will move toward that.

I see on Apple Store a Refurbished Mac mini Apple M1 Chip with 8‑Core CPU and 8‑Core GPU

$469.00. Probably will buy that and put my Mac Mini in shredder. Apple's upgrade to Monterey destroyed it.

Jun 25, 2023 3:06 AM in response to Packwood

" My Mac Mini has two 500G drives " that can run macOS 10.14 Mojave.

This implies it maybe a 2014 Mac Mini and Qualifies to run macOS 12 Monterey

Is that correct ?

The Original Configuration could be 1 single 500 GB drive or a Custom Order with a Fusion Drive.

The question now becomes, has the user replaced to Original Drive or Drives with a Mix of Apple Original Drive and an After Market Drive

This could or may explain the negative experience with MacOS 12 Monterey

It would not expand the Other issues of Recovery Mode or USB Installer not working I am sorry to say

Jun 25, 2023 5:35 PM in response to PRP_53

Sincerely, thank you!

I'm writing here on my MBP- the subject computer can no longer be started to normal finder. So I can't do "About This computer" or anything normal like that. It only starts to Recovery always ending with triangle exclamation mark, or Target (I learned two days ago). I don't have but have ordered the USB-C to USB-C cable, arriving Wed..

According to my record it is:

Apple Mac mini "Core i5" 3.0 (Late 2018) Specs Mac Mini MRTR2LL/A Ser# C0***YVY quadcore8thGenIntelCore i3 3.6GHz 10.14 (Mojave) 16GB DDR4 (Bus) 2666 MHz 512GB SSD

Everymac says: This model does not support internal hard drives.

I don't recall adding the additional 500G drive (and doubt that I did) so I don't know how it is there except it must've been there when I bought it, but I do have 300GB of valuable info on it.

I presume when I get the Target cable Wednesday, I'll be able to install Mojave on it Thursday and all will be well, except I will have lost and must reinstall all the apps I had on it which included all of (almost fully usable in Mojave) Adobe Creative Suites CS6 for which the installer DVD was trashed when we closed the business last year. But maybe still on a TM backup?

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Recovery every time triangle exclamation. 2018 Mac to shredder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.