Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

I been getting iPhone messages from my wife and daughter friends sent to me

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 5:56 PM

Stop sharing an Apple ID with ANYONE, no matter how closely related.

Apple IDs are personal; they shouldn’t be shared any more than you would share a toothbrush. If you share an Apple ID with someone else many bad things will happen; just getting each other’s messages is only one of them. Each user should have their own Apple ID, then you can create Family Sharing→What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support. That way you can share what you want to share and not share what you don’t want to share.

It is OK to share an Apple ID among devices used by one person, such as an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac; in fact, it is a very useful thing to do. But not between devices used by different people.

Here is Apple’s FAQ: https://appleid.apple.com/faq/#!&page=faq. See the 4th bullet item.

And here is Apple's expansion of what I've posted→Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2023 5:56 PM in response to Tdyretire

Stop sharing an Apple ID with ANYONE, no matter how closely related.

Apple IDs are personal; they shouldn’t be shared any more than you would share a toothbrush. If you share an Apple ID with someone else many bad things will happen; just getting each other’s messages is only one of them. Each user should have their own Apple ID, then you can create Family Sharing→What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support. That way you can share what you want to share and not share what you don’t want to share.

It is OK to share an Apple ID among devices used by one person, such as an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac; in fact, it is a very useful thing to do. But not between devices used by different people.

Here is Apple’s FAQ: https://appleid.apple.com/faq/#!&page=faq. See the 4th bullet item.

And here is Apple's expansion of what I've posted→Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support

Jun 23, 2023 5:54 PM in response to Tdyretire

Hello Tdyretire!

What do they say? I just got a Text Message from +1 (914) 226 4**8 that says:

”Hi mom. I have just lost my phone could you please message my new number urgently +14314444**8”

Wondering if it’s a scam that’s floating around?

If it’s a completely different issue, please elaborate.

Looking forward to your reply!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.