Import photos rejection

Hi there,

I am trying to import hundreds of images into Photos on a Mac Mini so that I can re-export them again, minus their date and location data. This is straightforward to do in the first instance by unchecking the relevant boxes during export. However, I am using drone files where the file numbers repeat and different batches of images from a field survey can look very similar.

When I came to import the second batch the import function only acknowledged 83 new images for import and ignored the other 585, presumably because it recognized all of those from a previous import, during experimentation, and so it doesn't want to allow in duplicates. I have deleted all those imported images but that doesn't appear to make a difference.

To try and get around this I changed the names of all 868 files and tried again but it did the same, so it clearly it doesn't use the file name alone to indicate if it has already imported the files.

I guess what might be useful is if I can switch off the 'reject duplicate' option (if there is one) and so override the 'rejection' of the majority of the images. So far I have not found an option to do that.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 7:36 AM

Yes you can allow duplicates during the import process into Photos.

Click Show All in the row of Already Imported, then select the one(s) that you want to Import.

If the camera on the drone has a removable camera card?

Uncheck Delete Items after Import, then

1. use multiple camera cards
  2. use a larger camera card

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2023 7:36 AM in response to JP from EG

Yes you can allow duplicates during the import process into Photos.

Click Show All in the row of Already Imported, then select the one(s) that you want to Import.

If the camera on the drone has a removable camera card?

Uncheck Delete Items after Import, then

1. use multiple camera cards
  2. use a larger camera card

Jun 24, 2023 7:50 AM in response to den.thed

The images on the detachable card are not automatically deleted. I do that by reformatting the card when ready.

I can’t access the images already imported as I have deleted them permanently. Despite that Photos thinks they are on the system and so won’t import those again, even if I change their file numbers. How can I override that?

Jun 24, 2023 8:50 AM in response to JP from EG

JP from EG wrote:

The images on the detachable card are not automatically deleted. I do that by reformatting the card when ready.

I would rethink that strategy. I would archive the used cards and replace them with new ones.

I can’t access the images already imported as I have deleted them permanently.

If you deleted them from the card, then they are gone and there is nothing to Import.

Despite that Photos thinks they are on the system and so won’t import those again, even if I change their file numbers. How can I override that?

You need to allow Duplicates to Import as I suggested above.

Import photos rejection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.