Just discovered my Macbook is a DHCP client and as admin, I didn't know it. Normal?

Ran a ping and tracroute on my MacBook and got no response. Downloaded "Fing" and discovered a list

of DHCP params(12), Bonjour +services "companion link(tcp.local" and protocols: UDP5353, Bonjour(Zeroconf)

I am the administrator, I own the router and all I want to do is shop a little and take pics of my grandchildren. Why am I now a DHCP client and is this normal?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 2:45 PM

To connect to the Internet, your Mac needs an IP address – and related information, such as its subnet mask, and the address of the gateway it uses to send packets to the Internet.

There are several ways of getting this information:

1. Manually, by having you configure everything on your computer and on your router.
  2. Automatically, with a protocol called BootP.
  3. Automatically, with a newer protocol called DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Your MacBook is a DHCP client because it is using DHCP to request automatic configuration. Your router is a DHCP server because it is using DHCP to configure your MacBook. This is entirely normal.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2023 2:45 PM in response to knotnowmaybelater

To connect to the Internet, your Mac needs an IP address – and related information, such as its subnet mask, and the address of the gateway it uses to send packets to the Internet.

There are several ways of getting this information:

1. Manually, by having you configure everything on your computer and on your router.
  2. Automatically, with a protocol called BootP.
  3. Automatically, with a newer protocol called DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Your MacBook is a DHCP client because it is using DHCP to request automatic configuration. Your router is a DHCP server because it is using DHCP to configure your MacBook. This is entirely normal.

Just discovered my Macbook is a DHCP client and as admin, I didn't know it. Normal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.