Security lockdown on iPhone

if I erase my device due to security lock down will all my previous messages be gone

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2023 6:34 AM

Hello kay_bay,

If you are erasing your device, yes you will lose all data on the iPhone (including messages). You will need to back these up to iCloud or another location if you'd want them to persist.

Lockdown does not delete data, to my knowledge. It disables certain features to keep you more secure - About Lockdown Mode - Apple Support. This should only be used if you believe you're being targeted or hacked. It is not a feature that should be installed randomly to "boost" security.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2023 6:34 AM in response to kay_bay-

Hello kay_bay,

If you are erasing your device, yes you will lose all data on the iPhone (including messages). You will need to back these up to iCloud or another location if you'd want them to persist.

Lockdown does not delete data, to my knowledge. It disables certain features to keep you more secure - About Lockdown Mode - Apple Support. This should only be used if you believe you're being targeted or hacked. It is not a feature that should be installed randomly to "boost" security.

Security lockdown on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.