Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

How do I see the playlists on my iPhone in iTunes?

I don't use iTunes much anymore, but was recently adding more of my music collection for a trip (from my desktop). Now I'm on the trip, and using my laptop, and I'm trying to listen to music on my laptop, but I can't see any of my playlists, nor can I make new ones (on my iphone in itunes). It wants me to listen to ALL of my music at once or not at all? How can I see my playlists or make new ones on my phone through iTunes? I used to be able to do this.

Edit: more info - I don't sync my music because I know I may switch devices and I can't lose all my music every time (learned from past, can't believe years later it's still like this lol). When I google I also find a lot of stuff about Apple Music, which I don't use whatsoever. I just want to view and play my playlists from my music collection on my laptop. I'm not trying to transfer any music, just listen to a playlist i have on my phone.

Windows

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 11:08 AM

Answer: You cannot. iTunes appears to have removed a basic functionality since last time I used it. Why should I have to choose just one computer to "sync" to when I have multiple computers I work from and would like to listen to music on? I can see the playlists on my phone clear as day, and I do mean to be harsh on Apple when I say: What the frick man?

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2023 11:08 AM in response to slow_momo

Answer: You cannot. iTunes appears to have removed a basic functionality since last time I used it. Why should I have to choose just one computer to "sync" to when I have multiple computers I work from and would like to listen to music on? I can see the playlists on my phone clear as day, and I do mean to be harsh on Apple when I say: What the frick man?

Jun 26, 2023 11:13 AM in response to slow_momo

For reasons known only to Apple it has always been the case that even a manually managed iPhone only allows full control from the single library used to update it. That library can be copied to multiple computers if needed.

Should you wish to temporarily export some of the content from the device see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - Apple Community.

tt2

Jun 25, 2023 11:56 AM in response to slow_momo

Correct, if you didn't sync any, they will not appear.

Syncing will not make you lose your library as the songs on your devices are in your primary library on your computer. Those songs then sync to your satellite devices. If your songs on your device are not on your laptop because you previously synced them from another device, you may be able to get those off of the phone using imazing or similar software of by navigating into the device directory to find the files and folders. If they were purchased in the iTunes Store, they can be downloaded on your computer.

Jun 25, 2023 1:25 PM in response to muguy

It will though, because as I said I'm not currently on my primary computer and the files for all of my music are not on this computer. So there's no way for me to see my playlists? This is silly

edit: also they were not purchased from iTunes they are from CD's and direct downloads from various artists, some of which I've been collecting for a long time on that computer.

Jun 25, 2023 7:08 PM in response to slow_momo

Still just trying to figure out why I can't simply play songs from, or even see, the playlists on my phone through iTunes. If there's a better way to play my phone music through my computer please let me know. I don't want to wear 2 pairs of headphones or play my phone music aloud. I've used iTunes on and off for years, I used to be able to see my playlists, how do I regain the ability to view them?

Jun 26, 2023 1:15 AM in response to slow_momo

slow_momo wrote:

I don't do "sync" though because that is what will make me lose my library.

That simply is not true. Your "Library" is on your computer; a sync with a phone will not delete music from your iTunes Library on the computer.

However, if you have music from iTunes on a one computer (your desktop) synchronised with your phone, you cannot use a different iTunes (on your laptop) to manage the phone. If you do so, the music on the phone will be deleted from the phone because you cannot sync two libraries to one device. There will be a warning when you try, designed to alert you to what will happen if you continue.

Jun 26, 2023 7:24 AM in response to muguy

Yes, I get this. I can indeed play music on my phone. Here is my situation as clearly as I can put it.

I have a desktop computer with all of my music stored on it. I manually added those to this iPhone. I then made several playlists, on my iPhone via the music app. Now, I am on vacation with my laptop, which does not have any music stored on it. This is not my main computer. I am working on my laptop now and I want my music to play while I work. So, I plug my iPhone in and open iTunes. I see "music" under devices but my individual playlists are not showing up. I CAN play music from the entire library (that is, I can access the music on my phone via iTunes, but only the ENTIRE collection) - this is days worth of music and too many different artists together. I want my playlists.

Jun 26, 2023 11:18 AM in response to turingtest2

So helpful of Apple to make it like this. I have all this extra memory I really wanted to fill up with the exact same files :) really makes me want to keep buying and using iPhones. Very user friendly as I know Apple loves to advertise themselves as.

Also, I need no control over it, if I could simply SEE my playlists and listen to them I'd be happy (even though I think that is still silly). I KNOW I used to be able to see them and listen despite not being able to edit them. I remember it lol

Jun 28, 2023 11:56 AM in response to slow_momo

I still can't believe they removed this feature/functionality from Music on my desktop. This is a real PITA for me - especially since I used to be able to do it in iTunes.

Has anybody ever seen or heard WHY they did this?

Seems like this violates a pretty basic User Interface Design principle of taking control from the user.

Bring it back!!!!

The synching "function" is pretty **** confusing, BTW. But I know I am not very smart.

How do I see the playlists on my iPhone in iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.