How can I get my MacBook Pro screensaver to use all of my photos?

My Screen saver will only use a portion of my photos. how do I get it to use all photos.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 2:40 PM

5 replies

May 11, 2024 1:49 PM in response to mikeg28806

I have had a similar problem, probably since Sonoma 14. was released. When I select an album from my Photos it will display the Sonoma default photo and not the album I selected. If I click on one of the photos in the selected album, and not the icon for the album with the arrow in a circle at the left of the display of the photos in the selected Album. I have rechecked all the settings and review with Apple Support multiple times in the last few months. On occasion it will cycle through the first 2 to 5 photos in the album. If I select only one photo in the album and then select the entire album it will display the entire album contents. It will then stop displaying the album and go to the Sonoma default photo. A brute force workaround is using a folder on the desktop with all the photos in the selected album. As an aside I use the same album as a screen saver on my Apple TV+ and it works fine.

Jun 27, 2023 8:51 AM in response to motocross21

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities motocross21,

Check out the following steps for guidance customizing your photo screen saver so it includes all your favorite photos.

To change these settings, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Wallpaper  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)

Picture (or image name)

Choose an arrangement type from the pop-up menu when your wallpaper is a picture that you manually added (see “Add Folder” and “Add Photo Album” below). Options include Fill Screen, Fit to Screen, Stretch to Fill Screen, Center, and Tile. For some arrangement options, you can choose the color that appears around the picture. Some options may distort the picture.

Change picture

Choose a time interval from the pop-up menu to specify how frequently wallpaper pictures and colors change when you set them to automatically cycle (see “Auto-Rotate,” below).
Cycle through the pictures or colors in order, or select Randomly.
This option may affect the performance of some apps, such as games, that use many graphics.

Wallpaper selection thumbnails

Thumbnails are shown in categories, including Dynamic Wallpapers (images that change over the course of a day), Light & Dark Wallpapers, Colors, and folders and photo albums that you manually add (see “Add Folder” and “Add Photo Album,” below).
For some pictures, you must click the download icon  while connected to the internet.
If your photos aren’t shown, they might not be in the expected file format—JPEG, PICT, TIFF, PNG, or HEIC. Use Preview to open your photos and save them in one of the supported formats. See Save PDFs and images in Preview.
If your photos are shown but look fuzzy, try using larger ones, such as 1024 x 768-pixel photos.

Change Wallpaper settings on Mac

We hope this helps!

Jun 28, 2023 10:46 PM in response to motocross21

I have had this same issue for years.

When I select Photos as a source for my screensaver, it will only show me the first 100 - 150 photos or so. Anything added after that, the screen saver does not seem to pick it up. Quite disappointing, to be honest.

On a different note, I wish that Apple would bring back the awesome Mosaic screen saver it had about 10 years ago. That one did seem to use all photos in your library.

May 23, 2024 2:14 PM in response to mikeg28806

I've done this repeatedly and it doesn't work. I've also worked repeatedly with Apple Support and Senior Support multiple times. The best help I got was that it was a problem the engineers are working (for over a year!) and use a folder on my desktop as the source of the photos I want as wallpaper and as screen saver. The problem still exist with Apple's System Settings feature, and using a folder on my desktop require that I add any new photos to both the album in the Photos app and to the folder on the desktop. Double the work, double the storage and still the feature doesn't work. Beyond disappointing and frustrating.

How can I get my MacBook Pro screensaver to use all of my photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.