You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C port in dongle adaptors not working in my M1 Mac Mini and M2 MacBook 2022

I have an M1 Mac Mini 2020 [purchased 2022] - and an M2 MacBook Air 2022 [purchased 2023]. I was trying to fix a flicker in my external monitor with my MacMini, and switched my HDMI in to from the MacMini HDMI port to a dongle with an HDMI in.

That fixed the flicker (evidently the Silicon chip isn't compatible with HDMI input as well). However, the dongle(s) I have are now having connectivity issues (or it's an issue I'm not aware of).

I have the:

• J5Create USB-C To HDMI & USB 3.0 With Power
  • Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
    • Both are UCB-C to USB, HDMI, USC-C

The HDMI works, the USB work, btu the USC-C doesn't work for EITHER dongle in either my MacMini, or my MacBook Air.

Is....there a particular reason this usb-c input from a dongle doesn't work?

I sacrificed a USB-C input on my computers so I could connect to my external monitor, and now I can't have a secondary USB-C input :(

Is there....another compatibility issue with the M-chips?

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 7:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 8:50 PM

Which J5Create docking station do you have?

Looking on their site, I found two that connect via USB-C and that have HDMI ports. I'm assuming for now that you are not trying to attach multiple external displays to your M2 MacBook Air (which supports only one) – or multiple USB-C / Thunderbolt displays to your M1 Mac Mini (which supports two displays, but only one display connected in that way).

USB-C™ Triple Display Docking Station (model JCD543)

https://en.j5create.com/collections/full-featured-docking-stations/products/jcd543

• 1 - USB-C™ 3.1 Gen 1 
  • 1 - USB-C™ Power Delivery 3.0

I take that to mean that there is one USB-C port for connecting a power adapter (to power the J5 docking station and/or the attached laptop). That USB-C port only supports power input; nothing else.

Also to mean that there is another USB-C port that supports USB 3.1 Gen 1 (a.k.a. USB 3.0) data transfer, but not other protocols like USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort ALT Mode, or Thunderbolt ALT Mode.

USB-C™ Triple Display Docking Station with 100W PD Adapter (model JCD543P)

https://en.j5create.com/collections/full-featured-docking-stations/products/jcd543p

Appears to be exactly the same docking station, except that they include a 100 watt USB-C power adapter in the box (in case you didn't already have your own).

So you are sacrificing one USB4 (USB, USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort ALT Mode, Thunderbolt ALT Mode) port on your computer, and the two USB-C ports that you are getting in return are

• USB-C power input – for pass-through charging of the M2 MacBook Air
  • USB-C (USB 3.0) data – with no USB 3.1 Gen 2, USB4, DisplayPort ALT Mode, or Thunderbolt ALT Mode output

The dock has

• 2 - HDMI™ Female 
  • 1 - DisplayPort™ Female 
  • 1 - VGA Female

If you plug a monitor into one of those ports, that should consume the USB-C (DisplayPort ALT mode) signal from the computer, and repackage it as HDMI, DisplayPort, or VGA (as if you plugged a USB-C adapter directly into the computer).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 25, 2023 8:50 PM in response to darceh

Which J5Create docking station do you have?

Looking on their site, I found two that connect via USB-C and that have HDMI ports. I'm assuming for now that you are not trying to attach multiple external displays to your M2 MacBook Air (which supports only one) – or multiple USB-C / Thunderbolt displays to your M1 Mac Mini (which supports two displays, but only one display connected in that way).

USB-C™ Triple Display Docking Station (model JCD543)

https://en.j5create.com/collections/full-featured-docking-stations/products/jcd543

• 1 - USB-C™ 3.1 Gen 1 
  • 1 - USB-C™ Power Delivery 3.0

I take that to mean that there is one USB-C port for connecting a power adapter (to power the J5 docking station and/or the attached laptop). That USB-C port only supports power input; nothing else.

Also to mean that there is another USB-C port that supports USB 3.1 Gen 1 (a.k.a. USB 3.0) data transfer, but not other protocols like USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort ALT Mode, or Thunderbolt ALT Mode.

USB-C™ Triple Display Docking Station with 100W PD Adapter (model JCD543P)

https://en.j5create.com/collections/full-featured-docking-stations/products/jcd543p

Appears to be exactly the same docking station, except that they include a 100 watt USB-C power adapter in the box (in case you didn't already have your own).

So you are sacrificing one USB4 (USB, USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort ALT Mode, Thunderbolt ALT Mode) port on your computer, and the two USB-C ports that you are getting in return are

• USB-C power input – for pass-through charging of the M2 MacBook Air
  • USB-C (USB 3.0) data – with no USB 3.1 Gen 2, USB4, DisplayPort ALT Mode, or Thunderbolt ALT Mode output

The dock has

• 2 - HDMI™ Female 
  • 1 - DisplayPort™ Female 
  • 1 - VGA Female

If you plug a monitor into one of those ports, that should consume the USB-C (DisplayPort ALT mode) signal from the computer, and repackage it as HDMI, DisplayPort, or VGA (as if you plugged a USB-C adapter directly into the computer).

Jun 27, 2023 3:34 PM in response to Servant of Cats

I have the

which appear to be both to USB 3.0. So I need...a usb-c to USB 2.0 I'll try that. Thanks

(doesn't recognize my KOBO either, which would be USB 2.0). Hurray

Jun 29, 2023 11:02 AM in response to darceh

USB-C is a "Swiss Army Knife" connector where many of the capabilities are optional.

Apple's description of the USB-C Digital AV Multiport adapter says that it "lets you connect your USB-C-enabled Mac or iPad to an HDMI display, while also connecting a standard USB device and a USB-C charging cable." So the USB-C port on that adapter isn't for transmitting and receiving data. It's just there for sending pass-through power to a Mac laptop or iPad.

USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple

USB-C port in dongle adaptors not working in my M1 Mac Mini and M2 MacBook 2022

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.