3rd party company wants to charge me to connect my computer to their system?

At the bottom of my google web page screen there was an icon or personal hot spot when I pushed on it said that i had a breech of security and i need to call a 888 number with apple company tag on it... When i called they said they are a 3rd party company and they need to connect my computer to their system to diagnose the pb and addresse it which might cost me to according to their diagnosis. Of course I did not trust them so I contacted you (apple help desk) directly

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 5:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 3:15 PM

Of course I did not trust them so I contacted you (apple help desk) directly

We are not Apple but other end users just like you. However, Apple will tell you the same thing: Everyone gets those.

However, those types of messages are more prevalent if you have managed to catch a case of adware. Adware is usually a self-inflicted wound you get as a little "gift" when you use download hosting sites to get software "free" that your know would cost money elsewhere. Screensavers, ringtones, fonts, and instructions for other than the manufacturer's site are big "carriers."

Adware can be manually removed with some difficulty for new users, but there is one third-party App—one of only a few such tools the senior contributors trust—that is quite effective and finding adware and threwoignit out the door.

MalwareBytes is the work product of a long-serving and respected contributor to these communities. You run the free version manually to check for adware. The pay-for version runs automatically in the backgrounds to intercept incoming adware in real time. It is one of only a few such products that does not create a perforamce penalty.

To avoid more adware, get it ONLY from the developers site: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2023 3:15 PM in response to harout196

Of course I did not trust them so I contacted you (apple help desk) directly

We are not Apple but other end users just like you. However, Apple will tell you the same thing: Everyone gets those.

However, those types of messages are more prevalent if you have managed to catch a case of adware. Adware is usually a self-inflicted wound you get as a little "gift" when you use download hosting sites to get software "free" that your know would cost money elsewhere. Screensavers, ringtones, fonts, and instructions for other than the manufacturer's site are big "carriers."

Adware can be manually removed with some difficulty for new users, but there is one third-party App—one of only a few such tools the senior contributors trust—that is quite effective and finding adware and threwoignit out the door.

MalwareBytes is the work product of a long-serving and respected contributor to these communities. You run the free version manually to check for adware. The pay-for version runs automatically in the backgrounds to intercept incoming adware in real time. It is one of only a few such products that does not create a perforamce penalty.

To avoid more adware, get it ONLY from the developers site: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac

3rd party company wants to charge me to connect my computer to their system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.