Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iphone carrier unlocking options

I bought a used Tmobile Iphone 13 pro max from an electronics store on ebay (Samanthatronics). At the time and even now I am a tmobile customer. However in September I am going to Canada to Study for 4 years. I contacted Tmobile to have the device unlocked only to be told that the previous owner left an existing financing balance on their contract. They refused to unlock it.

Since I am already invested in this device for over 700 usd I requested the figure of the balance and offered to pay it off. However they said that since I was not the previous owner I would not be allowed to know the figure or to pay off the tab and that they cant do anything about getting it unlocked.

It boggles my mind that Tmobile would refuse my money to pay off the tab because I was not the original owner lol. Do I have any options in getting it unlocked thru apple or otherwise ?

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 9:32 AM

No. Only the carrier can unlock it. I would request a refund. They sold you an iPhone that you cannot use. T-Mobil’s policy - which is the same for all carriers - is there to preserve privacy and to discourage the illegal sale of stolen iPhones. If my iPhone were stolen, I’d be happy to know that my carrier would not disclose my personal information in order to allow the thief to use my phone.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2023 9:32 AM in response to Andr3D1

No. Only the carrier can unlock it. I would request a refund. They sold you an iPhone that you cannot use. T-Mobil’s policy - which is the same for all carriers - is there to preserve privacy and to discourage the illegal sale of stolen iPhones. If my iPhone were stolen, I’d be happy to know that my carrier would not disclose my personal information in order to allow the thief to use my phone.

Jun 26, 2023 9:49 AM in response to Andr3D1

The thing is I don’t think it’s stolen, I’ve been using it a couple months already and it isn’t activation locked or anything. I think the previous owner was just dishonest and didn’t pay his dues.

Also I believe since it’s already been a couple months since I’ve been using it I’m not sure eBay will authorize a refund but I can probably try 😪

iphone carrier unlocking options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.