Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Related Article: Information about the My Photo Stream shutdown

My Photo Stream Shutting Down

Does this mean Apple is gatekeeping us from accessing our own photos for free? iCloud requires a subscription for storage. What are the free ways I can access and backup my photos manually?

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 6:55 PM

My Photo Stream was never a storage service. It would only store up to 1,000 photos and only for 30 days. It was one way that you could import recent photos to other devices. See: My Photo Stream - Apple Support

The first 5GB of iCloud storage is free.

If you don't want to use iCloud Photos, you can still import photos from an iPhone or iPad to a Mac or Windows computer. See: Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC - Apple Support

and you can use Time Machine and/or 3rd party software to backup a Mac computer to an external drive.

You can also use AirDrop to transfer photos between devices.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2023 6:55 PM in response to mctoodles

My Photo Stream was never a storage service. It would only store up to 1,000 photos and only for 30 days. It was one way that you could import recent photos to other devices. See: My Photo Stream - Apple Support

The first 5GB of iCloud storage is free.

If you don't want to use iCloud Photos, you can still import photos from an iPhone or iPad to a Mac or Windows computer. See: Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC - Apple Support

and you can use Time Machine and/or 3rd party software to backup a Mac computer to an external drive.

You can also use AirDrop to transfer photos between devices.

Jun 26, 2023 6:55 PM in response to mctoodles

First of all, you can include photos in your back up. That’s the way it’s always been. Photo Stream never was a backup for photos.

Even though Photo Stream is shutting down, you will still have the photos from the Photo Stream on the device on which the photos were taken. You will not lose any photos at all.

Copied from the link above…

The photos in My Photo Stream are already stored on at least one of your devices, so as long as you have the device with your originals, you won’t lose any photos as part of this process. If a photo you want isn't already in your library on a particular iPhone, iPad, or Mac, make sure that you save it to your library on that device. 

I have never used a photo storage service but look at Google Photos and DropBox.

My Photo Stream Shutting Down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.