Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Apple Watch won’t reset

I received an apple watch from a friend earlier today and brought it home in hopes of being able to use it. Unfortunately there is a password on it and he has long since forgotten it. I’ve attempted to reset it and “Erase all content and settings” but as soon as it turns back on it shows me the password screen again. Is there any way I can fix this??

Apple Watch Series 2

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 7:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 2:24 AM

There are 2 possible passwords needed here. The one you are seeing is the passcode to unlock the Apple Watch - like the passcode on your iPhone. The other one is your friend's Apple ID login credentials, for which the password will almost certainly be different from the device passcode. Hopefully your friend still knows their Apple ID login. Please see details below for how to clear the device from the Apple ID which is holding it locked. Getting it released from Apple ID and Activation Lock should let you erase and setup again.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else

If you forgot your Apple Watch passcode - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2023 2:24 AM in response to stephanny272

There are 2 possible passwords needed here. The one you are seeing is the passcode to unlock the Apple Watch - like the passcode on your iPhone. The other one is your friend's Apple ID login credentials, for which the password will almost certainly be different from the device passcode. Hopefully your friend still knows their Apple ID login. Please see details below for how to clear the device from the Apple ID which is holding it locked. Getting it released from Apple ID and Activation Lock should let you erase and setup again.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else

If you forgot your Apple Watch passcode - Apple Support

Jun 27, 2023 2:16 AM in response to stephanny272

That watch is under an Activation Lock to the friend's Apple ID and cannot be used until your friend recovers the use of that Apple ID to release the lock. The Lock prevents lost & stolen watches from being used.

Unless your friend removes the Lock, the watch is useless to you.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.4;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.5.2; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.5; HomePods, audioOS 16.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Apple Watch won’t reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.