StandaloneUpdaterDaemon - can I remove it - is it safe?

After doing an update on the, yuk, Ventura OS, I now see (in SystemSettings > Open at Login > Allow in the Background > StandaloneUpdaterDaemon) StandaloneUpdaterDaemon from an unknown developer and it is active. May I get rid of it somehow or may I turn it off (there is an option to turn it off) without complications to my system? I really do not understand its function so I hesitate to remove/turn it off.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

G L A

iMac 24″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 26, 2023 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 5:00 AM

Laurel963 wrote:

May I get rid of it somehow or may I turn it off (there is an option to turn it off) without complications to my system? I really do not understand its function so I hesitate to remove/turn it off.

What's this? Caution? Logic? Reason? Amazing!

I don't recommend making any changes using Ventura's new "background items" user interface. These are all apps that you've installed on purpose. They are unlikely to include any malicious apps. This is probably just an auto-update task from some large software package from Microsoft or Adobe. In addition to breaking this app's auto-update feature, disabling the task (or doing anything, really) using the "background items" can cause a long list of other problems that can be very difficult to manage.

When Ventura was first released, there were many, many reports of problems with this feature. If you've just updated and this is your only problem, consider yourself lucky. Don't push your luck. Close System Settings for your own good.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2023 5:00 AM in response to Laurel963

Laurel963 wrote:

May I get rid of it somehow or may I turn it off (there is an option to turn it off) without complications to my system? I really do not understand its function so I hesitate to remove/turn it off.

What's this? Caution? Logic? Reason? Amazing!

I don't recommend making any changes using Ventura's new "background items" user interface. These are all apps that you've installed on purpose. They are unlikely to include any malicious apps. This is probably just an auto-update task from some large software package from Microsoft or Adobe. In addition to breaking this app's auto-update feature, disabling the task (or doing anything, really) using the "background items" can cause a long list of other problems that can be very difficult to manage.

When Ventura was first released, there were many, many reports of problems with this feature. If you've just updated and this is your only problem, consider yourself lucky. Don't push your luck. Close System Settings for your own good.

StandaloneUpdaterDaemon - can I remove it - is it safe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.