Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Safari crashes

I have problem with Safari, i get "spinning wait cursor" most of the time and it is hanging. I have to force quit and restart Safari.

Exception Type:    EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes:    0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

I have a MacBook Air M1 Ventura 13.4.1 Safari 16.5.1 

What should I do to get Safari working again?

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 2:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 6:13 PM

Hi sören35,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "I have problem with Safari, i get "spinning wait cursor" most of the time and it is hanging.

I have to force quit and restart Safari".

Things to try:

Check if the Mail app is working ok ... ie: determine if the wi-fi connection is operating ok.

Quit Safari. Restart your Mac: (Apple Menu > Restart) wait for Mac to start .. then log-back in, re-open Safari and re-try. (ie: will delete temporary files, re-establish connection, etc., ... can often clear the way. )

If hasn't helped:

Try turning off any third-party (non-Apple) software, like unnecessary add-blockers, virus-checkers or the like, even VPN can cause interference. If an offending app is discovered, remove app by using the uninstaller from the developer. If no improvement: Also try with any Safari extensions turned off.

If still not working:

Browse through Apple Support's article: what to do:

If Safari doesn't open a page or work as expected on your Mac - Apple Support

More info:

Safari troubleshooting on Mac - Apple Support

More support (online chat, phone, eMail etc)

Safari Support website: info / support / contact:

Safari - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2023 6:13 PM in response to sören35

Hi sören35,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "I have problem with Safari, i get "spinning wait cursor" most of the time and it is hanging.

I have to force quit and restart Safari".

Things to try:

Check if the Mail app is working ok ... ie: determine if the wi-fi connection is operating ok.

Quit Safari. Restart your Mac: (Apple Menu > Restart) wait for Mac to start .. then log-back in, re-open Safari and re-try. (ie: will delete temporary files, re-establish connection, etc., ... can often clear the way. )

If hasn't helped:

Try turning off any third-party (non-Apple) software, like unnecessary add-blockers, virus-checkers or the like, even VPN can cause interference. If an offending app is discovered, remove app by using the uninstaller from the developer. If no improvement: Also try with any Safari extensions turned off.

If still not working:

Browse through Apple Support's article: what to do:

If Safari doesn't open a page or work as expected on your Mac - Apple Support

More info:

Safari troubleshooting on Mac - Apple Support

More support (online chat, phone, eMail etc)

Safari Support website: info / support / contact:

Safari - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Jun 29, 2023 2:38 AM in response to brbo

Thanks for info.

I have checked what you described above and taken away some apps and maid some restarts.

I have also seen that there are other having problem with safari on newer Macbook Air with M1 and I feel that after the 2 latest updates of Ventura this problem occurred for me.

Now I can start Safari and open websites without getting the "spinning wait cursor". but it still occurs now and then. I hope it will be solved in a newer version of Ventura, I can always use Google Crome that works perfect.

Thanks for your help!

Safari crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.