Big Sur 11.7.8

Will not update. I have tried closing all windows and apps. Takes forever, sometimes it gets as far as installing and then never does.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 2:42 AM

gardenz71 wrote:

Will not update. I have tried closing all windows and apps. Takes forever, sometimes it gets as far as installing and then never does.

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

3 - Run the Software Update Applet is System Preferences again

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2023 2:42 AM in response to gardenz71

gardenz71 wrote:

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

3 - Run the Software Update Applet is System Preferences again

Jun 27, 2023 10:25 AM in response to gardenz71

Do you get any messages? How long is forever? It sounds like you have an update file that has downloaded but cannot successfully install. If so, it is likely corrupted and cannot be used. Put it into the Trash and empty it. Then do another download, preferably via a wired Ethernet connection. Wi-Fi, if that was used, is often too slow for these very large files and corruption occurs. If you only have Wi-Fi access, then you may have to download several files to get a clean one that will install properly. I hope this helps/

Jul 1, 2023 8:32 PM in response to PRP_53

I have a similar problem with an iMac 2014. Last night I got the notification of an OS upgrade and re-started, as directed, after I had shut down all open apps. An hour later, the installation was still going, so I went to bed.

When I got up this morning, the installation was in a loop - getting about 40% of the way across the bar below the Apple logo, blacking out and starting again.

I tried to shut down and re-start in Safe Mode. I pressed and held the power button for a long time, but the installation just started again as soon as I released it - so no chance to select Safe Mode. I let the installation continue, but it stayed in the loop for another two hours. Another attempt to restart had the same effect. It's continuing to loop now.

Any suggestions about what to do now?

Big Sur 11.7.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.