Device dominance when syncing

When syncing an iPhone (SE gen3) with a Mac Book Air 15", is one device dominate? That is, during syncing, when differences in data are present, to which device does the sync defer?

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 8:27 AM

The synchronization takes place when all devices are on the same Apple ID. That allows them all to have access to the exact same data on the iCloud Drive. That access is displayed as files in the local iCloud Drive folder. or the "Files" folder on my mobile devices.

My experience is there is no dominance. If I copy files to, say, all three of our iMacs iCloud Drive folders, each will up load simultaneously. Some take longer than others, but that appears to be a size thing. If I copy the same exact file by name, it happens in the order I clicked "copy".

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2023 8:27 AM in response to joeschiavo

The synchronization takes place when all devices are on the same Apple ID. That allows them all to have access to the exact same data on the iCloud Drive. That access is displayed as files in the local iCloud Drive folder. or the "Files" folder on my mobile devices.

My experience is there is no dominance. If I copy files to, say, all three of our iMacs iCloud Drive folders, each will up load simultaneously. Some take longer than others, but that appears to be a size thing. If I copy the same exact file by name, it happens in the order I clicked "copy".

Device dominance when syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.