delete photos off phone but not icloud

how can i keep all my photos on icloud only? my phone is out of storage and everything is already on icloud but if i turn off sync to delete, can i manually keep uploading to my icloud? if i turn it back on will it delete everything i deleted off my phone to match ? Help!

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 11:47 AM

When you use iCloud Photos, whatever you do on one device is reflected everywhere. Deleing a photo on the phone delete it in iCloud as well. That’s because iCloud Photos is a syncing service, not off device storage. What you might want to do is download the photos on a computer and then you can safely delete them from the phone and iCloud.

This explains how to download the photos to a computer.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2023 11:47 AM in response to melly277_

When you use iCloud Photos, whatever you do on one device is reflected everywhere. Deleing a photo on the phone delete it in iCloud as well. That’s because iCloud Photos is a syncing service, not off device storage. What you might want to do is download the photos on a computer and then you can safely delete them from the phone and iCloud.

This explains how to download the photos to a computer.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

delete photos off phone but not icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.