temperature and humidity tolerancy

Hi,

I want to get either the MacBook air or Pro, however, I am planning on taking a road trip, sleeping in a van, where the humidity and temperature get very high. The temperature can sometimes get up to 50 degrees Celsius or more. I want to ask, is the laptop able to withstand such conditions without getting damaged?

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 1:57 PM

stepan197 wrote:

Hi,
I want to get either the MacBook air or Pro, however, I am planning on taking a road trip, sleeping in a van, where the humidity and temperature get very high. The temperature can sometimes get up to 50 degrees Celsius or more. I want to ask, is the laptop able to withstand such conditions without getting damaged?

Every Mac has a Technical Specifications page that details the Operating/Storage requirements for that model Mac. These specs include Humidity and Temperature requirements. Here is an example Tech Spec Page for the Macbook Air M1: MacBook Air with M1 chip - Tech Specs - Apple

"Operating Requirements:

Line voltage: 100V to 240V AC

Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

Storage temperature: −13° to 113° F (−25° to 45° C)

Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing

Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet

Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet

Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 feet"

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2023 1:57 PM in response to stepan197

stepan197 wrote:

Hi,

Every Mac has a Technical Specifications page that details the Operating/Storage requirements for that model Mac. These specs include Humidity and Temperature requirements. Here is an example Tech Spec Page for the Macbook Air M1: MacBook Air with M1 chip - Tech Specs - Apple

"Operating Requirements:

Line voltage: 100V to 240V AC

Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

Storage temperature: −13° to 113° F (−25° to 45° C)

Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing

Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet

Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet

Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 feet"

Jun 27, 2023 2:09 PM in response to stepan197

One of the most overlooked risks is condensation.

Be especially cautious moving your laptop from a cool, air-conditioned space into moist, high-depoint air.

Potentially damaging condensation WILL form.

A prevention strategy is to seal your laptop in an airtight wrapper - and if in moist air - NOT unwrapping until the device has warmed to near ambient temp.

Jun 27, 2023 2:20 PM in response to stepan197

Good advice on air tight bags. But be aware, kitchen type storage bags are not air tight. If you use one and squeeze it to get the air out and seal it properly it will refill with air in a very short while.

What you need is a bag similar to one used for underwater photography.

Or at the very least, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/airtight-storage-bags/s?k=airtight+storage+bags

temperature and humidity tolerancy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.