Migration Assistant via Thunderbolt 3?

Can you directly connect your old and new computers with a Thunderbolt 3 cable to transfer files and settings via Migration Assistant? I’ve seen some answers to other questions that hint at this, but I can’t find it documented anywhere. (I know you can use Target Disk Mode, but I’m wondering specifically about the case of using Migration Assistant on both sides of the transfer.)

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 1:57 PM

why yes, if you are using a genuine ThunderBolt (not just USB-C) cable.

You can pre-test the connectivity ahead of time by enabling file sharing, and looking at files on the other Mac. Then shut off Wi-Fi on one or the other and you should see that the connection persists.

4 replies

Jun 27, 2023 9:50 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you! It worked perfectly. I see that while the transfer is going there’s a “connection details” that you can click on, which revealed that it actually tests the transfer options available to choose the best one. It showed that the Thunderbolt connection was giving something like 1400 Mb/sec, and peer-to-peer Wi-Fi gave 4 Mb/sec, and regular Wi-Fi was 2 Mb/sec. So obviously a big advantage to using Thunderbolt. Thanks again!

Migration Assistant via Thunderbolt 3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.