Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Trackpad scrolls very fast when clicking sometimes

I do a lot of "click and slowly highlight text" while reading, and often times but not always, it will either instantly scroll to the bottom of the page (while still highlighting), or it will start scrolling at t steady rate (usually downwards) until I either release the trackpad or move my finger (when it scrolls VERY quickly to the bottom or top of the page), or it will stay still while I have my finger staying still but will scroll instantly to the bottom the moment I move my finger even very slowly. It also happens that when I click and drag even when its not INSTANTLY moving to extremes, that even a small motion will cause scrolling to accelerate quite quickly. If I don't keep the cursor VERY close to its original position, I find myself half-way down the page in a flash.

I never have this issue with non-dragging scrolling, and notably, changing the scrolling speed setting doesn't change this behavior at all. Even turning off scrolling inertia doesn't change this (which I suppose is great because this means I don't have to suffer through non-inertia scrolling as a fix lol)

I've even been able to replicate it and watch my hand to make sure I'm not accidentally resting my palm on the trackpad and messing it up somehow like that.

Does anyone have any clue what setting this might be related to?

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 10:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 10:52 AM

thezohar wrote:

I do a lot of "click and slowly highlight text" while reading, and often times but not always, it will either instantly scroll to the bottom of the page (while still highlighting), or it will start scrolling at t steady rate (usually downwards) until I either release the trackpad or move my finger (when it scrolls VERY quickly to the bottom or top of the page), or it will stay still while I have my finger staying still but will scroll instantly to the bottom the moment I move my finger even very slowly. It also happens that when I click and drag even when its not INSTANTLY moving to extremes, that even a small motion will cause scrolling to accelerate quite quickly. If I don't keep the cursor VERY close to its original position, I find myself half-way down the page in a flash.
I never have this issue with non-dragging scrolling, and notably, changing the scrolling speed setting doesn't change this behavior at all. Even turning off scrolling inertia doesn't change this (which I suppose is great because this means I don't have to suffer through non-inertia scrolling as a fix lol)
I've even been able to replicate it and watch my hand to make sure I'm not accidentally resting my palm on the trackpad and messing it up somehow like that.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2023 10:52 AM in response to thezohar

thezohar wrote:

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Trackpad scrolls very fast when clicking sometimes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.