iPad glitching

I’ve had my iPad for a few years and my friend accidentally stepped on it a few months ago and clearly it shattered, but I can still use it. Ever since my friend stepped on it it has been extremely glitchy. It’s like it has a mind of its own. It opens random apps and calls people on its own. If I get the screen fixed will this problem no longer happen or did the pressure of my friend stepping on it cause something more than just the screen?

Also I am no longer friends with this person would it be bad if I asked them to pay for it to be fixed.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 2:51 AM

If the iPad screen has been damaged through breakage, the touch User Interface will be fundamentally compromised. The itself screen is a sensor that provides input to the operating system. Consider that a broken physical keyboard or mouse would be similarly unreliable in responding to keypresses or providing input to the connected computer.

A broken iPad screen also presents a potential safely hazard - as glass shards from the broken coverglass may detach from the screen. The Liquid Crystal used within the screen can also leak - this being a skin irritant.

A broken iPad screen should always be replaced of you intend to continue using it.

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

If repaired by Apple, for reasons of practicality, the iPad will usually be exchanged for a renewed/reconditioned iPad of the same model and specification - the cost of the exchange being the exactly the same as a repair.

If your iPad is several years old, repair may be uneconomic. Instead you might wish to put the money that would be spent upon the repair towards the cost of a newer model - that will invariably be more powerful and have a longer usable life than an older device that may have limited support for system software updates and battery life.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2023 2:51 AM in response to Melanie_08

If the iPad screen has been damaged through breakage, the touch User Interface will be fundamentally compromised. The itself screen is a sensor that provides input to the operating system. Consider that a broken physical keyboard or mouse would be similarly unreliable in responding to keypresses or providing input to the connected computer.

A broken iPad screen also presents a potential safely hazard - as glass shards from the broken coverglass may detach from the screen. The Liquid Crystal used within the screen can also leak - this being a skin irritant.

A broken iPad screen should always be replaced of you intend to continue using it.

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

If repaired by Apple, for reasons of practicality, the iPad will usually be exchanged for a renewed/reconditioned iPad of the same model and specification - the cost of the exchange being the exactly the same as a repair.

If your iPad is several years old, repair may be uneconomic. Instead you might wish to put the money that would be spent upon the repair towards the cost of a newer model - that will invariably be more powerful and have a longer usable life than an older device that may have limited support for system software updates and battery life.

iPad glitching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.