Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Keyboard input not working

At what seems like random but fairly frequent moments, when I'm using the keyboard to type in an app (as in now, writing in Safari), my keyboard will stop accepting input and just make little popping sounds (indicating error or invalid keystroke or something). No buttons on the keyboard will work. In order to "fix" this problem, I need to activate a DIFFERENT app, i.e., Pages or iMessage or something wherein I can use my keyboard to input stuff), and then type something there. Once I've done that, I return to the original app, the one that was refusing keyboard inputs, whereupon I find I can use the keyboard again. It's a simple workaround, but the problem persists and it's annoying as can be. It happens across all apps: it will happen in iMessage, meaning I need to open Word, say, to type something there. Or it will happen in Word, etc... I've tried the special reboot or whatever that is, and that doesn't fix it. I have the feeling that this problem occurs especially after I've just restarted my computer... I also have the feeling that the problem stops, eventually, maybe or its own accord, or maybe because I do something to fix it by accident. Please help! I'm runnig Ventura 13.2.1

MacBook Pro 16″, 13.2

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 12:21 PM

MKindellan13 wrote:

At what seems like random but fairly frequent moments, when I'm using the keyboard to type in an app (as in now, writing in Safari), my keyboard will stop accepting input and just make little popping sounds (indicating error or invalid keystroke or something). No buttons on the keyboard will work. In order to "fix" this problem, I need to activate a DIFFERENT app, i.e., Pages or iMessage or something wherein I can use my keyboard to input stuff), and then type something there. Once I've done that, I return to the original app, the one that was refusing keyboard inputs, whereupon I find I can use the keyboard again. It's a simple workaround, but the problem persists and it's annoying as can be. It happens across all apps: it will happen in iMessage, meaning I need to open Word, say, to type something there. Or it will happen in Word, etc... I've tried the special reboot or whatever that is, and that doesn't fix it. I have the feeling that this problem occurs especially after I've just restarted my computer... I also have the feeling that the problem stops, eventually, maybe or its own accord, or maybe because I do something to fix it by accident. Please help! I'm runnig Ventura 13.2.1

On an Intel Mac you can try both

resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support see the details.

resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 12:21 PM in response to MKindellan13

MKindellan13 wrote:

On an Intel Mac you can try both

resetting the SMC Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support see the details.

resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Keyboard input not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.