'?' icon on my dock

after installing the new Mac OS Ventura on my friend MacBook Air Retina, 13-inch, 2018

I saw a problem with the Dock all of the first party app like Calendar, Notes Message etc icons were replaced with the '?' icon and the Dock seem to be none responsive, I can't remove app (I Don't have the "Remove from Dock" option in the option and all the apps I try to put in the Dock won't stay after restarting the computer),and when I click on the app the app will not work but if I try to open it using the application folder it still will be launched, I will add some photo of the problem, if anyone as any idea on how to solve it please let me know, I have already try a few things people have suggested on the internet and nothing has worked yet.

Thank you in advanced.

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 5:55 AM

I'm afraid I can't really do that because my friends is a teacher and the computer was given to her by the uni so I don't have admin power so I can't restart on safe mode I don't have the password, and yes I did try to restart it and it doesn't worked like I said in the question.

Take it to the uni IT and have them fix it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 5:55 AM in response to Daniel_Attali

I'm afraid I can't really do that because my friends is a teacher and the computer was given to her by the uni so I don't have admin power so I can't restart on safe mode I don't have the password, and yes I did try to restart it and it doesn't worked like I said in the question.

Take it to the uni IT and have them fix it.

Jun 28, 2023 10:34 AM in response to Daniel_Attali

Daniel_Attali wrote:

after installing the new Mac OS Ventura on my friend MacBook Air Retina, 13-inch, 2018

I saw a problem with the Dock all of the first party app like Calendar,
Notes Message etc icons were replaced with the '?' icon and the Dock seem to be none responsive

Did you try Shutting down and restarting the Mac...

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Jun 29, 2023 6:03 AM in response to Daniel_Attali

Daniel_Attali wrote:

if your hands are tied—you can always drag the ? marks off the Dock one by one and from Applications folder drag and drop the icon you want to see.

or use the Option>Remove from Dock

'?' icon on my dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.