Removing files from multiple folders

I have a bunch of folders with files. I want to remove the files from the folders without destroying the files. How to do it without going through opening each folder and removing the files or how to automate the process?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 2:03 PM

You can do it with an Automator workflow saved as an application:

If you want to just copy the files to the destination library change the second item to this:

7 replies

Jun 29, 2023 8:53 AM in response to Mr. Bacon

Mr. Bacon wrote:

I have a bunch of folders with files. I want to remove the files from the folders without destroying the files. How to do it without going through opening each folder and removing the files or how to automate the process?

are these "bunch of folders with files" related in some manner: date, namewise or file type, etc?

Hard to believe there is some catchall to achieve this goal automatically without providing more detail...

ref: Automator User Guide for Mac

ref: Script Editor User Guide for Mac

Jul 16, 2023 12:26 AM in response to Mr. Bacon

One of the many bugs in Apple TV programming is every video added gets placed in a folder under the same name as the video file. So if you add a movie i.e. "LHGP," you get the file LHGP.whatever. in a folder titled LHGP. It boils down to a simple matter of me being OCD. I've quit using Apple TV (a programming mystery) and was just wanting to streamline my storage a bit.

Jul 16, 2023 11:16 AM in response to Mr. Bacon

One of the many bugs in Apple TV programming is every video added gets placed in a folder under the same name as the video file. So if you add a movie i.e. "LHGP," you get the file LHGP.whatever. in a folder titled LHGP. It boils down to a simple matter of me being OCD. I've quit using Apple TV (a programming mystery) and was just wanting to streamline my storage a bit.

As they are "related in some manner," (i.e., movie files), you can create a Smart Folder that shows Movies. Start the search at the top-level containing folder. Select all of the results you want to move and drag them into another folder.

Removing files from multiple folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.