Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Does iPad download photos from iCloud when Sync is On?

I have got a 64GB iPad and I am concerned that if I enable sync Photos from iCloud it will download all the photos to the device. Like what happens in Google Photos, it shows the photos online and when you click on save to device it then saves to the device. It does not take up storage space.

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 11:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 2:50 AM

Yes, as soon as you are activating iCloud Photos in Settings/iCloud, your iPad will download all photos stored in iCloud. And deleting photos on one device, will also delete those photos from iCloud and all to this account connected devices.

You can choose to "Optimize Storage", which will only download a low resolution copy of your photos. But, depending on the number of photos, you may also need more space than expected,

Have a look at this article:

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 2:50 AM in response to sayan1996

Yes, as soon as you are activating iCloud Photos in Settings/iCloud, your iPad will download all photos stored in iCloud. And deleting photos on one device, will also delete those photos from iCloud and all to this account connected devices.

You can choose to "Optimize Storage", which will only download a low resolution copy of your photos. But, depending on the number of photos, you may also need more space than expected,

Have a look at this article:

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Does iPad download photos from iCloud when Sync is On?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.