Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Why does Apple Pay require credit cards?

When I search online for instructions on how to pay with Apple Pay, I get something like "choose which card you want to pay with." I don't want to pay with a credit card. I want to use the funds I have in Apple Pay. The only place I've ever been able to do this successfully was at the Apple Store. Why does Apple require me to have credit cards verified on my Apple Pay account, and what can I do to simply pay directly from the funds in my Apple Pay account? (I don't have an Apple card and don't want one, unless that's what it's going to take to free up my Apple Pay cash.)

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 12:14 PM

Apple Pay does not hold any funds at all. It is a payment conduit, not an account. It uses payment methods added to the Wallet App to make payments in physical stores and websites that support Apple Pay.

You can use funds in the Apple Cash account in the Wallet app to pay through Apple Pay, by selecting that card during checkout at a store or website that supports Apple Pay.

You may be confusing Apple Pay, with your Apple ID account. Those are 2 separate and independent things. Not related to each other.

Your Apple ID account is different to Apple Pay, and the funds it holds can be used in the iTunes and App Stores. You don't need a card for that.

When making purchases in the iTunes, Books and App Stores, your Apple ID balance is automatically used to pay for purchases. You don't have to do anything.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 12:14 PM in response to jwritty

Apple Pay does not hold any funds at all. It is a payment conduit, not an account. It uses payment methods added to the Wallet App to make payments in physical stores and websites that support Apple Pay.

You can use funds in the Apple Cash account in the Wallet app to pay through Apple Pay, by selecting that card during checkout at a store or website that supports Apple Pay.

You may be confusing Apple Pay, with your Apple ID account. Those are 2 separate and independent things. Not related to each other.

Your Apple ID account is different to Apple Pay, and the funds it holds can be used in the iTunes and App Stores. You don't need a card for that.

When making purchases in the iTunes, Books and App Stores, your Apple ID balance is automatically used to pay for purchases. You don't have to do anything.

Jun 29, 2023 12:49 PM in response to jwritty

Apple Pay is a secure conduit to make payments. It hides your actual card number from the merchant and only your bank or card issuer can see an encrypted account number when they approve the charge.

It's similar to using Pay Pal, or Samsung Pay or even Google Pay.

The cards are held on a secure platform and not shared with any one during payment.

click here ➜ Apple Pay - Apple

Jun 29, 2023 1:11 PM in response to jwritty

jwritty wrote:

Thank you! I'm still confused, though—why would I want to use Apple Pay to charge something to a credit card when I can just use the credit card itself?

Additionally, it can be very convenient to be able to make a payment with your iPhone or Watch if you've forgotten your wallet. I love being able to pay with my Apple Watch. I have my debit card, not a credit card, connected to Apple Pay.

Why does Apple Pay require credit cards?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.