Hello apple support

Ok i want to rest my macbook pro settings without deleting any app or file

Like it's new but the files and app still downloaded

Please help me with that

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 2:56 PM

Sorry, there is not a way to reset your Mac to Factory Settings without losing any apps or files. The Mac, Apple ID, and Apps all work together and resetting the Mac would make some apps unusable and your entire system unstable. Some apps require an installer that changes the Mac settings and startup process making the reset not possible.

The solution would be to make a backup of the files you want to save and then reset your Mac to factory settings by doing a clean install of the OS. Download or install the apps you want and transfer the files you saved.

Restoring from a backup will clear your Mac, but then change the settings back to where they were.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 2:56 PM in response to king_jhon12

Sorry, there is not a way to reset your Mac to Factory Settings without losing any apps or files. The Mac, Apple ID, and Apps all work together and resetting the Mac would make some apps unusable and your entire system unstable. Some apps require an installer that changes the Mac settings and startup process making the reset not possible.

The solution would be to make a backup of the files you want to save and then reset your Mac to factory settings by doing a clean install of the OS. Download or install the apps you want and transfer the files you saved.

Restoring from a backup will clear your Mac, but then change the settings back to where they were.

Reset mac settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.