how can I reset my Apple ID password?

I have another device and I forgot my Apple ID password. How can I reset it with another Apple ID on another apple device?

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 3:09 PM

You cannot reset your Apple ID password when logged in to another Apple ID.

If you're logged in on your other apple device with the same Apple ID you've lost the password for and it is a trusted device, you can follow these steps to reset your password

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap your name > Password & Security > Change Password.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to reset your password.

You can also follow this process on a trusted iPad, iPod touch or Apple Watch.

To reset your password on your trusted Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings (or System Preferences) > Sign in with your Apple ID (or Apple ID). Then click Password & Security, Change Password and follow the onscreen instructions.

If your other Apple device is not logged in with the same Apple ID, you will need to reset your forgotten password on a different way

on your other device, you can install the apple support app and reset the password via there

1. Open the Apple Support app on the borrowed Apple device. If necessary, you can download the Apple Support app from the App Store.
  2. Scroll down to Support Tools, then tap Reset Password.
  3. Tap "A different Apple ID".
  4. Enter your Apple ID, tap Next and follow the onscreen instructions to reset your password.

You can also reset your password via the web:

If you don't have a trusted device, you can reset your password on the web – but the process may take a little longer.

When possible, the web browser will redirect you to a trusted device. If you'll have access to one of your trusted devices soon, it may be faster and easier to reset your password then.

Reset your password at iforgot.apple.com

If all of these options won't work for you and you still cannot reset your password, you can enroll in account recovery. You can start the account recovery process via iforgot.apple.com

See this link for further reference about account recovery

How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 3:09 PM in response to FamBoldocki

You cannot reset your Apple ID password when logged in to another Apple ID.

If you're logged in on your other apple device with the same Apple ID you've lost the password for and it is a trusted device, you can follow these steps to reset your password

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap your name > Password & Security > Change Password.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to reset your password.

You can also follow this process on a trusted iPad, iPod touch or Apple Watch.

To reset your password on your trusted Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings (or System Preferences) > Sign in with your Apple ID (or Apple ID). Then click Password & Security, Change Password and follow the onscreen instructions.

If your other Apple device is not logged in with the same Apple ID, you will need to reset your forgotten password on a different way

on your other device, you can install the apple support app and reset the password via there

1. Open the Apple Support app on the borrowed Apple device. If necessary, you can download the Apple Support app from the App Store.
  2. Scroll down to Support Tools, then tap Reset Password.
  3. Tap "A different Apple ID".
  4. Enter your Apple ID, tap Next and follow the onscreen instructions to reset your password.

You can also reset your password via the web:

If you don't have a trusted device, you can reset your password on the web – but the process may take a little longer.

When possible, the web browser will redirect you to a trusted device. If you'll have access to one of your trusted devices soon, it may be faster and easier to reset your password then.

Reset your password at iforgot.apple.com

If all of these options won't work for you and you still cannot reset your password, you can enroll in account recovery. You can start the account recovery process via iforgot.apple.com

See this link for further reference about account recovery

How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

how can I reset my Apple ID password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.