Airplay option missing from Display

Hi. I have a Mac Book Pro M2 2022 laptop which I used to use with Airplay to a 2022 Sony Google Tv and had no issues at all. Today when I tried to use it there is now no option for Airplay Display and the drop down box in Display?

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2023 9:27 PM

I'm not sure I will be of much help. My TV is a LG and is showing under Screen Sharing just like it did under the old AirPlay icon.

I tried to look up your TV for answers and did find this article about having to accept a privacy policy on the TV before it will work. I know that you said it worked before, but maybe there was an update on your TV that added the privacy policy.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00260396

My TV also appears under the Home app as it is HomeKit compatible and I believe your Sony would also be HomeKit compatible. I can turn it off/on in the Home app and also set the input of the TV to AirPlay which brings up the Airplay settings on my TV. I don't think the TV needs to be added in the Home app for Airplay to work, but was wondering if you had added yours there as well.

You probably already know this, but the TV and Mac need to be on the same Wi-Fi network. Was there a change in the network for either device?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2023 9:27 PM in response to lisaeddo13

I'm not sure I will be of much help. My TV is a LG and is showing under Screen Sharing just like it did under the old AirPlay icon.

I tried to look up your TV for answers and did find this article about having to accept a privacy policy on the TV before it will work. I know that you said it worked before, but maybe there was an update on your TV that added the privacy policy.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00260396

My TV also appears under the Home app as it is HomeKit compatible and I believe your Sony would also be HomeKit compatible. I can turn it off/on in the Home app and also set the input of the TV to AirPlay which brings up the Airplay settings on my TV. I don't think the TV needs to be added in the Home app for Airplay to work, but was wondering if you had added yours there as well.

You probably already know this, but the TV and Mac need to be on the same Wi-Fi network. Was there a change in the network for either device?

Jun 29, 2023 8:41 PM in response to lisaeddo13

There is no longer an AirPlay icon. You can still share your screen using the Screen Sharing icon in your menu bar. There was too much overlap between AirDrop, AirPlay, and Screen Sharing with Airplay and Screen Sharing doing the same thing. You can access the Screen Sharing icon in your menu bar where you have it now or in the Control Center.

Airplay option missing from Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.