Create Bootable USB Ventura: Create Install Media Not Found

I've tried to follow the instructions to create a bootable USB for Ventura.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

When I run the command posted:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

I'm getting an error: sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ /Applications/Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyMacOS

sudo: /Applications/Install macOS /Applications/Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: command not found

Now when I go directly to the createinstallmedia folder and try to run the command directly, it says it's not found.

Air Resources % ls -ls create*

48 -rwxr-xr-x@ 1 root  wheel   152624 Jun 15 08:00 createinstallmedia

2600 -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2590160 Jun 15 08:00 createinstallmedia.dylib

Air Resources % createinstallmedia

zsh: command not found: createinstallmedia

If I click the file directly from the downloaded package, it runs and when I try to run as sudo it doesn't work.

-Air ~ % /Applications/Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia ; exit;

Usage: createinstallmedia --volume <path to volume to convert>

Arguments

--volume, A path to a volume that can be unmounted and erased to create the install media.

--nointeraction, Erase the disk pointed to by volume without prompting for confirmation.

--downloadassets, Download on-demand assets that may be required for installation.

Example: createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

This tool must be run as root.

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

Thoughts?

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 6:31 AM

MrBrewski wrote:

Thank you for your response, I had run the command exactly as written but it didn't work so I added the extra applications. This is the command I used:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Interestingly enough, this does not work on my MacBook Air which I just bought but the command does work on my iMac. I wonder if the M1 chip on the air has something to do with it.

Add the Terminal.app to your Full DIsk Access

>System Settings>Privacy And Security>Full Disk Access

ref: Create a bootable installer for macOS

Select all and copy and paste:

Is it Ventura you are trying to copy(?)

Is the installer in you r Applications folder w/ the default name(?)

If you are unsure of the complete path name for your USB then copy and paste the command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume 

(note the trailing blank space after volume) and then drag and drop the USB onto the Terminal window to complete the path...

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2023 6:31 AM in response to MrBrewski

MrBrewski wrote:

Thank you for your response, I had run the command exactly as written but it didn't work so I added the extra applications. This is the command I used:

Interestingly enough, this does not work on my MacBook Air which I just bought but the command does work on my iMac. I wonder if the M1 chip on the air has something to do with it.

Add the Terminal.app to your Full DIsk Access

>System Settings>Privacy And Security>Full Disk Access

ref: Create a bootable installer for macOS

Select all and copy and paste:

Is it Ventura you are trying to copy(?)

Is the installer in you r Applications folder w/ the default name(?)

If you are unsure of the complete path name for your USB then copy and paste the command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume 

(note the trailing blank space after volume) and then drag and drop the USB onto the Terminal window to complete the path...

Jul 1, 2023 6:11 AM in response to Barney-15E

Create Bootable USB Ventura: Create Install Media Not Found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.