Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How can I start the Ken Burns from current clip's crop to the crop of the next clip?

Hi,

This is very simple to in IMovie as the Crop->Ken Burns doesn't change the crop.

So basically I want the 'Start' of the Ken Burns to be the current clip's crop and the 'End' to be the crop of the next clip.

Thanks,

Dror

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 30, 2023 4:16 PM

11 replies

Jul 1, 2023 3:12 PM in response to dror2002

I don't exactly understand what you want. It would seem to me that if you want a Ken Burns to animate over multiple clips, the thing to do would be put all the clips inside a Compound Clip and apply the Ken Burns to the Compound Clip.

You could also use an "adjustment layer", but I find applying KB is a little strange using the title (while positioning the bounds, the clips are black until "Done" is clicked.)

Did I miss the point?

Jul 1, 2023 1:07 PM in response to dror2002

I also tried doing it with keyframes with the method described in the following video, but it doesn't work... the panning doesn't reach the keyframe position (it almost does but not enough) and the frame "jumps" to the desired location when the next clip is reached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2HHBk1zTow&list=PLmu51r2RESojIfd3qSjROuP3_NpZINlvx&index=13

Jul 1, 2023 1:26 PM in response to Alchroma

OK, it looks like I managed to do this by copying keyframes as described in the linked video.

Take ALL Transform and Crop keyframes in the Start point of the Ken Burns.

Take ALL Transform and Crop keyframes of the start of the next clip.

Copy ALL Transform and Crop keyframes of the start of the next clip to the End point of the Ken Burns.

Thanks again,

Dror

Copying keyframes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2HHBk1zTow&list=PLmu51r2RESojIfd3qSjROuP3_NpZINlvx&index=13

Jul 1, 2023 3:32 PM in response to fox_m

I'm not clear on what you (the OP) are trying to do either. The first video you link to is using stills and not video which makes it easy to do in FCP. Mark Spencer of Ripple Training has an excellent free short tutorial called Next Level Ken Burns Effect in FCP (link below). This is well worth a look as it gives some great insights into how the Ken Burns effect works in FCP and you would learn a lot even if it is not exactly what you are trying to do.

https://youtu.be/brgkwA8D0Z0

He finishes up using Motion for creating a very simple effect which works even better than Ken Burns but this is not essential. He also demonstrates why it is better to use a Motion effect rather than a title (very interesting).

Jul 1, 2023 7:32 PM in response to fox_m

Thanks for the help, I already worked it out with keyframe as I wrote above. Basically I have a main clip and then the shot goes to a split screen with the left side containing part of the main clip and the right side containing part of a second clip. So just before the switch to the split screen, I do a few seconds of panning the main screen to where it's supposed to be in the split screen (so the person is a the middle of the screen and moves to the left of the screen). This way the flow continues smoothly on the main screen (which becomes the left side of the split screen).

How can I start the Ken Burns from current clip's crop to the crop of the next clip?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.