Apple ID

Hi, I used Apple ID to link my work mac and my own mac. Left the company, and I disconnected the linkage between two laptops. Will sign in the Apple ID still get access to my own mac after being disconnected?

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 8:10 PM

This support article describes what to do before selling or giving away your Mac, or returning one to an employer. --> What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

In particular note the bit about turning off the Find My feature. That's the one that makes it so your employer cannot reset the device.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2023 8:10 PM in response to JK6688_945

This support article describes what to do before selling or giving away your Mac, or returning one to an employer. --> What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

In particular note the bit about turning off the Find My feature. That's the one that makes it so your employer cannot reset the device.

Jul 1, 2023 8:43 AM in response to JK6688_945

I am not clear what you mean when you say you 'linked' the devices. I am presuming you were using iCloud to ensure items from one to synced with the other. If you were using the same Apple ID on both machines then yes, the content from the account should still be on the home computer.

If you were using separate Apple accounts (IDs) then we would need to know more about this "linkage". If you were using iCloud sharing then once the work ID was deleted, the shared content may no longer appear unless you made a separate copy of the files. However, at this stage we don't even know if you are asking about multiple accounts.

Giving specific advice would require we know a lot more details such as how many Apple IDs are involved, if you still have access to them, where are these computers now, etc.

While officially Apple does not support merging IDs, that largely applies to purchased apps and media. Data can often be shared with iCloud's various sharing services, and often even apps and media purchases can be shared (but ownership cannot be transferred) via Family Sharing.

Jul 1, 2023 7:40 PM in response to Limnos

Okay, I have to admit that I'm new to Apple. I don't even know how to ask questions about my situation.

I have never used Apple products before. I'm Microsoft to Google only. But then, I got an Apple MacBook and an iPad last year from work, also got a used MacBook from my daughter. I synced the three devices using one Apple ID (in the beginning when signed in to one Mac, the other Mac would have to give permission by signing Apple ID). Hope I described things clearly so far. Last month I left the job, and I have to give back the MacBook I got from work, but I forgot to do a manufacturer reset before handing it back. The tech person for the work contacted me for Apple ID to reset the device. I have detached the work Mac from my home Mac, but wondering if anyone can get access to my personal info if I shared Apple ID with them, even I had gone to iCloud Drive to uncheck "Desktop & Document Folders". (I actually don't know what it does. I googled for disconnecting the two laptops.)

Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.