Lists (Groups) in Contacts app on MacOS Ventura not accepting new contacts

I'm running Ventura 13.4.1 on my MacBook Pro 2021, and it's not allowing me to drag new contacts in to lists (or groups). I just noticed this in the last week or so — maybe since the last update? I think I can still use my iPhone's contacts app (using the awesome "add to list" feature), but it's annoying not to be able to do this on my laptop.

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 8:07 AM

Hey ShaneMcD,

Thanks for that additional information. One other thing we'd like for you to try is starting in safe mode and see if this allows you to use the method that you mentioned. Safe mode can help tell us if the issue is possible login items. Be aware that internet access is limited in safe mode, but sometimes just starting in this mode and then restarting normally can resolve some issues: How to use safe mode on your Mac.

Keep us updated.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2023 8:07 AM in response to ShaneMcD

Hey ShaneMcD,

Thanks for that additional information. One other thing we'd like for you to try is starting in safe mode and see if this allows you to use the method that you mentioned. Safe mode can help tell us if the issue is possible login items. Be aware that internet access is limited in safe mode, but sometimes just starting in this mode and then restarting normally can resolve some issues: How to use safe mode on your Mac.

Keep us updated.

Jul 3, 2023 11:00 AM in response to ShaneMcD

Hello ShaneMcD,

We have a great support article that might help with this. It outlines all the ways you can work with your Contacts list on your Mac. Please take a look at it here: Create and change lists in Contacts on Mac - Apple Support. Follow this guidance:

1. "In the Contacts app  on your Mac, select one or more contacts listed in the sidebar.
  2. There’s no limit to the number of contacts you can add to a list. If you use more than one account in Contacts, make sure the contacts you select are in the same account.
  3. Drag the selected contacts to a list in the sidebar.
  4. If the contacts aren’t added to the list, check if it’s a Smart List—you can’t add contacts to a Smart List.

If you use an Exchange account in Contacts, those contacts can belong to only one folder at a time. Any contacts that aren’t in a folder you create are in the default Exchange Contacts folder."

If this is not working as expected (as explained above), a simple restart might help resolve the behavior as well. Follow this page: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support.

We hope this helps. Let us know if we can assist with anything else at all. Take care.

Jul 5, 2023 7:49 AM in response to Gena_D

Hi Gena_D. Yes, I already tried this, and I just tried it again. None of my groups are SmartGroups—which I know don't work the same. I've been using Contacts as you described for about 6-7 years. It may be that a couple of weeks ago I used Migration assistant to transfer all of my data from a MacBook Pro using Monteray to this newer and recently purchased 2021 MacBook Pro running Ventura. Perhaps there are some library items that I need to adjust? Could you please refer me to possible solutions with this extra information? Thanks! —Shane

Lists (Groups) in Contacts app on MacOS Ventura not accepting new contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.