Related Article: See your Apple Pay transaction history

Someone else is using my card in apple pay on another device I did not authorize

How can I find out information about the unauthorized device that is using my apple pay?

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 2:41 PM

7 replies

Jul 1, 2023 4:00 PM in response to stfarsani

Apple Pay doesn’t know. All Apple Pay does is send encrypted date between the merchant and payment source, AMEX. Only AMEX has the key to decrypt the information. That’s how it works. AMEX would know what devices they authorized your card on. Apple can’t authorize a card on a device, only the card issuer.

Do you share your Apple ID with a spouse or family member? Do you have your card on multiple devices, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch ir Mac?

Are you sure you paid via Apple Pay on a device or swipe your card or use the chip?

Jul 3, 2023 3:13 AM in response to stfarsani

Apple Pay doesn’t work that way. How does it work?

When an attempt to add a card to Apple Wallet is made, such as your example of a waiter, Wallet contacts your bank for approval to add the card. That bank contact information is pre-coded in the Secure Enclave within the iPhone. Your bank will verify with you by either texting your iPhone, emailing you, or a voice call with you and you must use your PIN or answer security questions.

How can the waiter know your PIN, receive your text messages, receive your emails, answer your phone?

Someone else is using my card in apple pay on another device I did not authorize

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.